Presentations

Chapter 2

*To save you time and boredom I have shortened the essay - Liz*

The day of presentations in science is finally here. After days of writer's block, stomach growls, random videos on the Internet (Ryan didn't really like that part) and working with Ryan, the day has finally come.

We watch the others present their presentations. Mrs. Stuart decided to go in alphabetical order again so, of course, Ryan and I will go last. I feel so nervous. I hate projects. I have to go up in front of the whole class and make a fool of myself. And this time, Ryan's making me read my work. Usually I make my partner read the stupid thing, not my partner making me read it!

Curse you Ryan. While we were working on our paper Ryan had this "great" idea to write about a human's emotions. He wanted me to suggest that humans might have two different colored eyes, too. Just who does he think he is anyway? I don't trust this guy ...

"Ryan and Elizabeth!" says Mrs. Stuart. "You're next!"

I trudge up to the front with our papers.

"Um," I say, "Our p-project i-is o-o-over the human b-beings known sc-scientifical-ly as Homo sapiens." A few laughs and whispers broke out among the class. I don't need any encouragement. I can puke just fine on my own, thank you.

I can imagine Ryan's annoying voice in my head saying, "Really, you stutter when you're in front of people? That's just sad."

I have a bad case of stage fright. I always have and always will. It was worse when I was in elementary school. I couldn't control it. I would throw up on the front of the stage and embarrass my family, class, and friends. I lost friends after the time in middle school. Everyone knew me as "the girl who puked and ruined the entire Christmas play." I just can't handle being in front of people. The fact that Ryan is making me read our paper is pure torture.

I pleaded to him to read it, "Please Ryan! I can't do anything in front of people. You read it."

"No," he said, "You having stage fright is all the more reason to do it. It'll help you overcome it."

"My parents already tried that. It was a complete failure."

"Just trust me, okay?"

"Yeah, like I should trust a guy I've known for one week." I rolled my eyes. He looked at me with those brown puppy dog eyes. I tried not to give in, I really did, but ... "Fine, I'll do it!"

And that's how I ended up here, stuttering all over the place.

I continue reading our essay.

"The Homo sapiens is different from every other creature. It is the only one with the prefix Homo. Though like other creatures the human has a personality and opposable thumbs. We are not sure other organisms understand emotions, though we know of the possibility, humans have always been able to do this. They know what others might be feeling and what they feel themselves. They have choices of friends and communities and travel options and so many other things. (*I listed some things here and after the next sentence but I figured you would much rather move on and read about my life rather than an essay over Homo sapiens.*) They share things with each other and have so many choices.

"But there is very something special about this human race. They rule the world and are very populous. They can do many, many things and are very advanced. They have invented a surplus of things including the always-changing technology. Who knows, maybe the race will surprise others with newer things. Maybe something crazy like ..."

I pause. I can't say it. I can't reveal the secret I've kept so long.

I look over at Ryan. I barely shake my head. He gives me an encouraging smile and nods for me to go on.