The Camp

Chapter 5

"Did I hear you correctly?" asks an incredulous Ryan.

I merely nod, unable to come up with more words. He slumps into the bench. We're standing near school.

"Wow ... that was fast. I never knew I could feel like this! I'm so happy for you!!"

He hugs me. This is a surprise. Since when are we this close of friends? He starts squeezing the breath out of me.

"Let ... go ... no ... breath ..."

"Oh! Sorry!!" He lets go. "Anyway, only pack necessities. It might be a while before we get there."

He turns on his heel.

"Wait!" I ask. He stops. "When are we leaving?"

"Tonight, silly! We need to get a head start!"

"WHAT?!"

"Meet you at the West edge of town!" he calls over his shoulder.

"Ugh! Sometimes he makes me so mad ..." I mumble. Nonetheless oblige and walk home. When I arrive I throw my bag onto my bed. "Seriously Ryan? Couldn't you have given me a day or two?" I shake my head and proceed to the hall closet and bring out my old black suitcase. It's seen better days but it'll keep together for this trip.

Hopefully, anyway.

He said that we'll be going to camp so logically I pack summery clothes. It's still summer so I should be fine. I shouldn't be staying too long, right? I sigh. I toss my toiletry kit in as well. I check to make sure everything's in. I stuff in a blanket and shut the suitcase, belting it tight. Yes, two belts hold my suitcase together.

I look around my room. I unzip a secret pocket and shove my phone charger inside along with some treasured items I could never leave behind. I zip it back and stand the case upright. I lug it to my door. On my way I notice my eyes. Should I wear my contacts? I decide to keep them on. Their case and solution are already packed.

Now comes the hard part: Telling my parents.

I hardly talk to them so this is a big thing. I softly knock on their bedroom door.

"Mom?" I ask. "Dad?" I don't hear anything. "Are you in there?" No answer.

I slowly open the door. They're asleep. I almost close it back and return to my room. I grab some paper and write them a note explaining why I'll be gone. I don't tell them about my eyes. If they learn now they'll only have more questions.

I look at the note and return to their room where I tape it onto the door. I close it back. I take my suitcase out of my room, turn the light off and close the door. The last thing I see is my key lying on my bed. I shouldn't need it where I'm going.

Purrty rubs my leg before as I'm leaving. I stroke her.

"I have to go Purrty," I whisper. She meows. "I'm sorry. I'm not sure I can take you with me."

She looks at me innocently, pleading me to scoop her up and not leave her behind. I stare into her beautiful eyes. Well ... if I leave her she might not survive. I take her into my arms and carry her to the car where Mike waits. I put my suitcase in the trunk and take shotgun.

"Ready to go?" he asks. I nod. He drives off. "Where are we going exactly?"

"West edge of town."

"Okay." He drives on. We're almost there when he looks over. "Um, Liz, why do you have the cat?"

"She wouldn't settle for me leaving her behind."

"Why don't I take her?"

I look at him. "Really? Are you sure she won't attack you like usual?"