EIGHTEEN. not like that

unbeknownst ,, chapter seventeen

AFTER THE NIGHT'S EVENTS, the group decided to let things cool down a little, opting for a movie instead. So as Jesse and Marcus set up the run ins of every Fast and Furious film, Chanaïs and Jadon started cleaning up.

Sat in the kitchen on top of the island, Chanaïs couldn't deny the sting in her chest at Mason's words. What does he mean by 'depends'? Is he doing it to me right now? Am I a fucking mug───

"You dead look like you're about to kill someone right now," Jadon commented, handing the girl a glass of water. "Look, if it's about Mason, I'll talk to him, but for now, just ignore him."

"But it's not that simple, is it?"

"Well, it is. Unless..." Jadon trailed off.

"Unless what?" Chanaïs pressed, almost daring him to say what she was thinking.

"Oh shit, you really like him, don't you?" Jadon couldn't help but smile at the realisation that his best friend was in the process of falling for someone, even if that person was a dick.

"Shut up, it's nothing like that."

"Yeah, sure."

She did like him. A lot. It was just a shame that Mason's head seemed to be elsewhere at the moment.

Just as Jadon was about to leave the kitchen, Mason walked in, a sigh escaping his lips as he realised he was pretty much in a now or never situation.

"I think I heard Marcus calling me," Jadon removed himself from the situation, sending  Chanaïs a quick thumbs up.

Part of her wanted to leave the kitchen and ignore Mason completely, but another part of her just wanted one more drink.

"So I guess I should explain myself───"

"Oh my god, he's talking to her," Bukayo whispered to everyone else in the living room They all turned down their voices so it wasn't obvious that they were listening in, everyone's faces focused on making out the words of the two next door.

"Mason, don't. I honestly couldn't care less," Chanaïs said bluntly, downing the drink in the glass next to her.

"Don't be like that, I'm only trying to fix things."

"Well no-one asked you to go mess them up, did they?" At that, Mason pinched the bridge of his nose, realising that this was going to be a lot harder to do.

"Period," Jesse muttered.

"Okay look, she messaged me, not the other way around. Besides, I didn't even have her number saved because this isn't the first time it's happened," Mason tried to explain.

"Oh because that makes things so much better," was the sarcastic reply.

"I genuinely don't know why you're so aggy about this, we're not even together like that," He huffed, not realising the extent of his words until he saw her face drop. "Shit, wait. I didn't mean it like that, Nai."

"He's so fucking stupid," Declan said, rubbing a hand over his face.

"Yeah, whatever." Nai shook her head, pretty much done with the conversation.

"Where are you going?"

"Back. There's not more left to this conversation, is there?"

"Um, yes there is? We still need to talk about why you said that about Reiss," Mason crossed his arms.

"Oh, give it a rest."

"No, because you make it seem like I'm the only one strung on my ex, when you are too."

"Okay one, I am not strung on Reiss. I've done nothing but give you my attention for the past three months. Can you say the same?"

Mason was at a loss for words, opting to roll his eyes instead. "Okay fine, I'll drop the Reiss thing."

"Still doesn't answer my question."

"Look, I came to talk about us, not Fran."

"Oh, so you're still on nickname terms with her? Cool."

"Can he mess this up any more?" Marcus said, brows furrowed.

"I wouldn't say that if I were you," Tammy noted.

"Right, well. Lovely convo, um, don't talk to me, don't call me, and don't ask for your Mario Kart back! Because it's mine now." And with that, Nai left a dumbfounded Mason hanging in the kitchen.

─── notes.
a struggle for mason mount x