Chapter 16

By the time Allie heard the unmistakable sound of Emmett's swaggering guffaw in the woods outside the house, she was showered and at least somewhat presentable. Although her newfound energy hadn't carried her through her usual getting ready routine, she was definitely feeling more like herself in a pair of jeans and with freshly washed hair.

Rising from what she was quickly coming to think of as her corner of the couch, bookmarking her page in an old copy of The Hounds of the Baskervilles, she moved towards the front door. She figured that she'd try to make up for what she was sure was a rather sour welcome home reception for Carlisle. She also found that, along with her energy, her curiosity about his secretive mission had been piqued again.

When she saw him climbing the front steps, smiling and joking with Edward and Jasper about something private, Allie felt her stomach do a somersault. If at all possible, he looked even better than her memories. He looked more relaxed than Allie had ever seen him, and for a brief moment she wished she hadn't interrupted the moment. His smile was easier, freer, and he moved with uncharacteristic spontaneity. Allie felt electricity spark through her body as she watched him, internally kicking herself for hiding in bed the last day and a half. As she marveled at the line of his jaw, her conversation with Bella earlier in the kitchen came to mind, and she felt herself redden slightly.

Edward shot her a curious glance, his eyes widening slightly, before he entered the house, greeted by a joyful Bella who flung herself into his arms with an admirable abandon. Allie smiled at Alice and Jasper, who entered next, their hands intertwined. Alice winked at her, whispering "right on time" under her breath as she walked by. Allie chuckled, remembering that Alice had likely foreseen this exact moment already.

Next was Emmett. Allie was surprised that she didn't see Rosalie with them; it seemed that everyone in the family had gone hunting without her, and she wondered idly if that was a common occurrence. Emmett shot her a devilish grin, smacking her with alarming force on her shoulder. "Good to see you back in the land of the living," he quipped. Allie wasn't entirely sure if he saw the irony in his statement, but it made her laugh nonetheless.

And finally. Carlisle.

He climbed the last few steps somewhat slowly, avoiding her gaze although smiling. Allie was surprised to recognize sheepishness in his gaze. Whatever had gotten him tongue tied, Allie was feeling emboldened and stepped confidently out of the front door and into his arms in a less conspicuous motion similar to Bella's. Carlisle caught her with ease, albeit he looked somewhat surprised as she planted a firm, deep kiss on his lips. Just like the first time, Allie felt the kiss echo throughout her entire body. She let her lips linger on his, twining her fingers through the soft hair at the nape of his neck. The electricity of the moment intensified when she felt his hands wind around her waist and pull her into the embrace. She could tell he was being gentle with her, holding back somewhat, but Allie felt herself absolutely melt into him nonetheless. For a few breaths, Allie lost herself in the kiss. Her heart felt like it was about to float away, and even though she felt a shiver ripple over her skin from Carlisle's cold hands, she found she didn't mind. She pressed herself against him, closing the space between them.

Allie wasn't sure she'd be able to stop until Carlisle gently cleared his throat and ever so slightly pulled back from her. When their lips finally parted, Allie felt breathless and a little crestfallen.

"Nice to see you too," Carlisle said, pressing his forehead against hers with a coy smile. "Feeling better?" he asked. Even though his tone was playful, Allie could see the sincerity in his eyes (which, she noted, were a conspicuously lighter shade of gold than what she remembered).

"Yes, I am," she replied, letting the fingers she had still twisted in his hair glide down his chest. She breathed in deeply, appreciating the smell of his cologne and underneath it, a wilder, raw scent like new rain or oak.