Chapter Eleven

Emily called Mick up the next day just after her father left. “I officially have the house to myself for a week.”

        “Great, so you won’t mind going out for a bit?”

        “Where are we going?”

        “Oh, I can’t tell you that. Ally will be there in a few minutes to pick you up and bring you to the predetermined location.” In the past two months Mick and Ally had bonded surprisingly well, well enough obviously to plot things behind her back.

        “Okay, do I need to bring anything?”

        “Just yourself and a positive attitude.”

        ‘You are so lame.”

        “I know, but you love me.” There was a moment of silence as they both realized what he’d just said. Allison and Emily said it all the time, but coming from Mick it had a totally different meaning. Do I love him? I think I might, but what am I supposed to say to that? “Anyway, you should get ready, I’ll see you in a little bit.”

        “Okay, bye,” Emily said and hung up.

        She didn’t really have to get ready, so she just sat in the quiet living room until she heard a car outside. Emily left, locking the door behind her.

        “Hey, can we use your car, my mom needs ours.” Allison exited the passenger side of a vehicle, waving to Mrs. Reed who had been driving.

        “Sure, I’m guessing I can’t drive?” Even as she said it she headed to the passenger side.

        “You know me so well.” Allison got in and Emily reached over, putting the key in the ignition and starting it up.

        They drove for about twenty minutes before Allison told her to close her eyes. “Really? Are we six?”

        “Oh, just do it already.”

        Emily sighed but did as she was asked, and a minute later she felt the car come to a stop. “Can I look now?”

        “Sure.”

        Emily opened her eyes. “The mall? This is the big secret? What’s going on?”

        “We’re going shopping!” Allison exclaimed.

        “I kind of gathered that, what with being in front of the mall and all…” Emily was confused; Mick called her acting like there was some big surprise, and then Allison shows up and brings them to the mall?

        “I’m not at liberty to say anymore, Mick should be waiting inside.” They got out, shivering in the cold December air before entering the warm and crowded mall.

Sure enough Mick was waiting right at the entrance. Emily went over to him, taking in the smell of his cologne and the warmth of his body as he wrapped her in a loving embrace. It had been over a week since she’d seen him, and was glad to be with him again. “Are you going to tell me what’s going on?”

        “Well, my mother and I were talking about Christmas presents and I told her that you could use some new clothes, so she gave me her debit card and told me to make sure you get something nice.”

        “Oh, you guys don’t have to get me anything…” Allison and Mick rolled their eyes.

        “Will you stop being so selfless and for once do something nice for yourself?” Allison said. “Besides, you don’t even have to pay.”