Chapter Fifteen

Her dad slammed the door behind him, infuriated. He had just lost five thousand dollars gambling with his friends.

            Emily and Mick were sitting on her bed, having just gotten back and changed into her pajamas when she heard the door slam downstairs. “Shit,” she whispered, instantly freaking out. She heard him yell for her and told Mick to stay completely silent, even suggesting that he try to climb out the window. He wanted to object but he knew that now was not the time. Not wanting to upset him further she hurried down the stairs, stopping on the last step.

            He cursed loudly, then shrieked when he hears a sound from upstairs. "Emily, who's up there?"

            "What? Nobody." She cast a look upstairs, hoping Mick had made it out.

            "Don't lie to me, girl." the clatter of knives echoed on the floor. "That kid better leave right now."

            “There’s no one here Dad, I swear.”

            He grabbed a knife and nearly ran into Emily, nearly stabbing her with the knife. His eyes were filled with a wild, animalistic look.

            With a small shriek she jumped the side. "Okay, I'm sorry, I know you said he couldn't be here, he was just dropping something off."

            "Why is he up in your effin room?" He stumbled up the stairs, pushing past his daughter.

            “It was just for a minute, he was just about to leave.”

            "Yeah, good one, Emily. Your mother lied to me too, and now she's got me stuck with you!"

            “I’m telling the truth!”

            "Well," he said with a smirk. "Its too bad. He's not going to live for much longer anyways."

            “Dad please, leaving him alone.”

            "Shut up." He started up the stairs, hoping to frighten the girl into doing what he wanted.

            “No.” She sounded much more confident than she felt.

            He twisted around, surprised. "What did you just say to me?!"

            "I'm not just going to stand here while you hurt the man I love."

            "Love?" he scoffed. "You know nothing of love." he dropped the knife on the ground and stumbled towards her.

            She took a step back. "And you do?" She didn't know where the words were coming from, she just had to keep him away from Mick.

            “Don’t talk back to me!” He screamed.

            “Just leave him alone.”

            "I'll do what I want! Shut up you stupid girl!" He went over to her and punched her in the stomach. She fell down. He slapped her on the face a few more times.

            “Stop it!” Please be gone Mick, I don’t want you to know about this.

            He sneered and kicked her ribs, hard. He heard a snap and smiled a little wider.

            An involuntary scream of pain escaped her lips.

            He tried to make another attempt at kicking her, but she had rolled over too quickly. He ended up kicking the coffee table.