Chapter Twelve

Emily slept in and woke up to a banging noise. After a moment she realized there was someone at the door and she slowly made her way downstairs. Mick was the last person she had expected to see. “Look, I’m really sorry about yesterday, I didn’t mean to upset you, I was just trying to make a point.”

        He was so sincere, and he looked so upset that Emily had to fight to hold back a smile; she wasn’t quite ready to let him off the hook. “I know, and I may have overreacted, but you have to understand it’s not as easy as you seem to think it is.”

        “I know that, I just hate to see you so upset.”         

        “It really isn’t that bad Mick, there are plenty of people out that have it worse than me.” Emily yawned and stepped to the side, opening the door wider. “Would you like to come in?” She offered, a small smile appearing to let him know he was forgiven.

        Mick let out a visible sigh of relief as he nodded. “Please.” The first thing Mick noticed was that nothing seemed to be out of place, it was one of the cleanest houses he had ever seen. Sure, his house was clean, but there was always something on the floor, papers piled at the table, random items scattered across countertops; not here. Looking around he noted that it seemed to be more of a very neat bachelor pad than a family home. The living room consisted of a single chair facing an average sized television. There were no pictures anywhere, and the only source or reading seemed to be a stack of magazines stashed away in a corner. This is no way for a girl to live, he thought, but he knew better than to say anything. “Nice house,” he lamely commented instead.

        “Thanks,” Emily replied with equal lameness.

        Please don’t let things be awkward now, Mick thought. “Maddie was upset that she didn’t get to say goodbye,” he said with a smile.

        “Tell her I’ll make it up to her,” Emily smiled back.

        Mick nodded. “Will do.” After another brief silence he awkwardly reached his hand into his pocket, pulling out a small velvet box. “You left so quickly yesterday I didn’t get to give you your present.”

        “I thought shopping was your present?”  She said as she took the offered box.

        “That was from my mom, I wanted to get you something special.” He watched her eagerly, anticipating her reaction.

        Emily opened the box and gasped. Inside was a necklace; a silver heart with a purple stone inlay in the center. “It’s beautiful,” she said, trying not to cry.

        Mick smiled. “Merry Christmas.”

        Emily walked to him and surprised him with a hug, which he graciously returned. “Thank you.”

        “You’re welcome.” He pulled back slightly and kissed her lips softly.

        She looked into his eyes, feeling his hand push the hair away from her eyes, and said the words she’d been dying to say for days. “I love you.”

        Mick beamed as he said the words back and kissed her again, this time with more passion.

* * *

        Mick and Emily were together for the next week, watching movies and talking, relaxing and not worrying about anything. They both went to Allison’s to celebrate the New Year, with the largest assortment of junk food Emily had seen. “How many people were you expecting?” Emily teased, knowing it was just the three of them.