o n e

O N E

"YOU'RE DOING IT again."

I turned towards my best friend incredulously. "I'm doing what?"

"You're subconsciously daydreaming while I'm sat here trying and failing to have a conversation with you" Jenna grumbled, popping the tab on her can of coke.

"I'm very sorry" I apologized. "What boring topic was it that you were trying to capture my attention with?" I joked.

She shot me a glare, pulling her bangs over to one side and securing them with a clip. "It doesn't matter anymore. Can I have your brownie?" she pointed at it with her plastic fork.

I glanced down at my brownie. "But ... I wanted it ..."

"Yeah well, I wanted to talk to you but you were off in your own world. So, to make up for me wasting my time, may I please have your brownie?" Jenna responded.

"But-"

"I'm your bestest friend in the whole wide world and you wouldn't want to lose me over something as stupid as a brownie, would you?" Jenna pouted her glossy lips and batted her doe-like brown eyes at me.

I stared at her for a minute before groaning in defeat. "Alright, alright, take it" I pushed the brownie towards her.

"Yay!" she grinned triumphantly, unwrapping it from its packaging.

"What were you trying to talk to me about?" I asked, toying with my salad idly. Salad wasn't nearly as inviting now that I didn't have a chocolate treat to finish it off with.

"Nothing really" Jenna flashed me a mischievous grin.

"Jenna! You stole my brownie for nothing!" I exclaimed.

"Correction: you gave me your brownie because you love me unconditionally" her grin expanded as she began eating the gorgeous Belgian chocolate brownie.

I watched her miserably, resting my chin atop my hand. "This sucks" I muttered.

My best friend scrunched up her nose and laughed at my expression. She patted me on my hand fondly. "I'll make it up to you by buying you a milkshake after school. How does that sound?" she said.

"I can't, I'm working tonight" I answered.

"But I thought you had that weird dinner thing planned, with your new neighbours?" Jenna's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I do but Mom rearranged it until after my shift" I rolled my eyes. "I would have been perfectly fine missing it but she insisted."

"I feel for you" Jenna placed her hand over her heart sympathetically.

"Yeah me too" I sighed. "Just because my Mom wants to become best buds with the new neighbours, doesn't mean I want to too."

"What's Xavier think about this?" Jenna wondered - too innocently for my liking.

"Why do you want to know?" I turned to face her, raising an eyebrow curiously.

Jenna gave me a look as if I were stupid. "Your older brother is a fine piece of ass, of course I want to know any information you've got about him" she answered.

"Don't even joke about stuff like that!" I made a disgusted face.

"Trust me babe, it is not a joke. Every single girl in this damn building had a crush on him before he graduated. Now he's even hotter. I swear if he ever asked me, I'd jump his bones so quick that I-"

"JENNA!" I cried in horror, clapping my hands over my ears. "That's gross. You don't see him when he takes a shower and leaves all his stuff lying about or when he smells like BO" I pointed out sullenly.