f o u r t e e n

This chapter is dedicated to worldgirlalways for my new cover ! I absolutely love it and I feel like it sets off the tone of this story really well - let me know your thoughts! x

FOURTEEN

Mom: Isla West, you better not be eating.

I glanced at my phone screen and immediately froze, hand poised with my spoon. Jesus Christ was my Mom seriously psychic? Or did she just have hidden cameras positioned in strategic areas around the house?

Isla: Mom, calm your cheese. I'm not.

I sent the text and dipped my spoon back into my bowl of Lucky Charms, eating some more. I was determined to finish this bowl, no matter what the consequences may be.

Mom: Good. Now, do you remember what time you're supposed to leave for the dentist's?

Isla: Yes. Ten past one and the appointment's at half past. There's no need to worry Mom, I'll make it.

Mom: Are you sure you don't want me to come home and take you? This is a big thing for you. I'll tell the office there's a family emergency?

Isla: No Mom. I appreciate you offering but I can do this myself.

"Isla!" Xavier called, poking his head around the sitting room door. "Oh there you are." His eyes landed on the cereal bowl balanced on my lap. "You shouldn't be eating before your appointment" he stated bluntly.

Ignoring his statement, I asked "what is it?"

"I'm gonna go out to the gym for a couple of hours. You gonna be aright going the dentist's alone?"

I threw my hands up in exasperation. "Why does everyone think I can't do it?" I cried.

"Because you've been terrified of the dentist since you were five Isla. Mom and I know that and if you want me to stay and take you, I can-"

"No!" I snapped more harshly than intended. "No" I softened my tone. "I'll be fine Xavier. Have fun at the gym" I told him.

He grinned. "I always do. See you later!" With that he disappeared. A couple of moments later the front door slammed, signalling his departure.

When I was positive he'd gone, I heaved a sigh. I honestly was putting off thinking of my appointment for as long as I could. So I put on some Netflix and slumped back on the sofa, getting comfy.

The next time I checked my phone, the time was one o'clock in the afternoon.

Holy fudge-nuts I was going to be late!

I leapt up in a flash. I rushed into the bathroom and brushed over my teeth so no traces of cereal were left there. As I did this, I stared at myself in the mirror hanging over the sink.

As soon as my eyes locked with my reflection's, I knew I couldn't do this. I was way too cowardly to go alone. I knew I'd burst into tears exactly as my dentist opened his door and beckoned for me to "come in." I definitely did not want that.

I briefly considered phoning up pretending to be Mom and cancelling last minute. But I quickly scrapped that idea. She'd find out I hadn't been when she got home and demanded to see inside my mouth.

Okay, so here's how all of this happened.

A week ago, after the 'incident' that occurred between me and Jared at Thanksgiving, I had my monthly check-up at the dentist's. All was good and dandy until Mr Kyle announced I was in dire need of some fillings.