f i v e

FIVE

"OKAY, NOW, WHICH one?" I asked, holding up two different DVD cases. "Pretty Woman or the Proposal?"

"As much as I adore Julia Roberts and the story of a rich man falling for a hooker, tonight I'm going to have to go for the Proposal. One, because Sandra Bullock has never been better in a film and two, because it is one of the funniest rom-cons I've ever watched. Just, the tribal dance man, the tribal dance" Jenna explained, from her spot on my sofa.

I agreed with her and slipped the DVD into the console. I grabbed the remote and returned to my seat, sprawled across Jenna's long legs. Seriously she had legs up to her neck; I don't even know how she got through some doorways. If you thought Taylor Swift had tall legs, you should see Jenna's.

My Mom was in the kitchen making us popcorn before she came to join us in watching different films. Mom loved it when Jenna came and stayed because we had film marathons altogether and she made all the snacks. Already we'd eaten our way through seven cupcakes and a huge tray of homemade brownies.

Xavier was up in his room, holed away. Usually - and I had to give this to her - he did come down and hang around whenever Jenna was here. But tonight, he'd been oddly distant and quiet upstairs. He hadn't even come down for food, which made me wonder whether something really was wrong with him.

As the DVD began to play, Mom wandered in with a huge bowl of microwaved popcorn. She set it down on the coffee table and took up residence in the armchair beside the sofa. When she saw what was on, she let out a squeal of excitement.

"This is my favourite freakin' film!" Mom cried, pointing at the screen.

"Calm down Mom" I said. Jenna was laughing.

"You shut up Isla Rose West and let your mother have her fun" Mom pretended to scold, throwing some popcorn at me.

When the tribal dance was actually on, Mom and Jenna both leaped up on their feet and began thrusting their hips around the coffee table, singing along with Sandra Bullock. I burst into hysterical giggles on the sofa, eyes tearing up.

"To the window, to the wall, to the sweat drop down my balls, to all these bitches crawl!" they chanted, continuing their pathetic attempt at a tribal dance.

"Let me see you get low, you scared, you scared! Drop that ass to the floor, you scared, you scared!"

"Wow, now this is a sight" a voice drawled from the doorway.

We all turned in surprise and found Xavier leaning against the wall, arms folded and observing the scene before him with an amused smirk.

Mom continued dancing and singing, oblivious but Jenna stopped abruptly, cheeks flushing bright red.

"Hi" she whispered, breathless.

"If I'd have known there was a party going on, I would have come down earlier" Xavier joked, eyes surveying Jenna once before he turned and headed towards the kitchen.

Jenna watched him go and I swear I saw pink hearts fluttering in her irises. She hadn't been imagining it; my brother had totally checked her out. I was in between the moods of being happy for her or slightly annoyed because what if he was just going to use her like he did everyone else?

"I'm gonna uh, go get some more popcorn" I excused myself, grabbing the half empty bowl and following my brother out.

Xavier had his back to me by the fridge, rustling through it for a snack.

"What was that?" I questioned, hands on hips to prove I was serious.

I needn't have bothered with the dramatics though as he didn't even turn around, just inspected the label on a packet of cheese. "What was what?" he mumbled, pulling that and butter out of the fridge.