Part 1; Insanity - 5. Sirens Wail

The door slammed open as we pushed through it, saving ourselves from the rain. He was the only thing in the world in that moment; all I could feel, smell, taste, touch and hear was him. His lips crashed down on mine once more as we half-fell against the back of the front door, pushing it closed behind us. Everything was rushed; my wet hands slid over his dampened clothes quickly and easily, and my thoughts were flying through my head so fast that every one of them was a blur that I couldn't make out properly. Then again, I didn't care; I didn't exactly feel like thinking at that moment.

I felt him smile against my lips and couldn't resist smiling back; the feeling of his lips against mine was incredible, his smile contagious. I tangled my fingers in his hair and he pulled him closer to me, the two of us melting together as if we were one person. His arms were around my waist, his cold fingers tickling the warm skin of my back as the hem of my shirt rode up. We were all alone. For once in our lives, we were completely and utterly alone; no twin sisters to walk in on us giggling, no step-father to walk in and give us a condescending look, no mothers or Scientists or paparazzi or best friends... in that moment, I was actually glad that Thomas had taken Mum and the twins out of town for the week.

Taking advantage of that newly found freedom, I decided to be the one to deepen the kiss. As I took charge of the kiss, he made a noise in the back of his throat and I felt his body go weak, though his grip on my waist failed to slacken, and despite my worries, his knees didn't buckle beneath him.

"Sera," He said breathlessly, "we're all alone."

I smiled against his lips. "I know."

"But Sera," he gasped between kisses, "we're all alone."

I sighed and pulled back, taking in his dishevelled, wet brown hair, his grey-blue eyes and the curve of his lips that I knew all too well. "If you're my Soul Mate, I don't see why it should matter."

"Sera," he said quietly, struggling to regain his breath, a smile playing around his lips. "I think I may just be in love with you."

I smiled back. "I think I may just be in love with you too, Cooper Whittaker."

Then, for the hundredth time, I was awoken from my dreams of my real Soul Mate by my alarm, much to my dismay. You'd think I would have started getting used to it.

* * *

"So, let me get this straight." Tia giggled, plopping herself down in one of the armchair in the library, two days after the incident with Oliver. "You kissed Oliver Jackson?"

"Well, it's not exactly a crime, Tia," I pointed out, "if he really is my Soul Mate."

"Yeah, but it was only days ago when you told me nothing could convince you to kiss him!" She retorted.

I shrugged. "That was before my Watch hit zero, Tia, I don't know what's going on in my head right now."

Her eyes widened and she sat up straight very suddenly. "The other day you told me it was a mistake – are you telling me it's not?"

"Yes!" I told her defiantly, not registering the word until it was out of my mouth. "No! No. It's a mistake. Definitely a mistake. Completely, and utterly, a mistake."

Tia narrowed her eyes mockingly. She didn't believe me. "If it was a mistake then why did you kiss him?

"We were on live television, Tia." I reminded her. "It's not as if I could have turned around and told him to get screwed and not acknowledge my existence unless it's to tell me we're going to the Scientists."