Part 4; Immunity - 21. Untouchable

The sound echoed around the walls of the Compound, repeating itself over and over in my head even after the echoes ceased. Sliding down the wall to the floor, I pulled my knees up to my chest, pressing my ear to the wall, trying to hear something, anything, that would tell me that Oliver was alive. Somewhere inside I had already given up, but I needed to know for sure.  I don’t know how long I sat there, leaning against that wall and crying softly, before the idea came to me.

You can project your thoughts! You’re an Untouchable! You’re stronger than the rest of us! Calliope had yelled.

An Untouchable.

I closed my eyes, shutting out the array of white walls and tears that surrounded me and disappearing into my mind. At first, I tried pulling thoughts in, but I found nothing. So, instead, I did as I had done earlier, pushing my thoughts past the limit of my own mind, searching the next room. Back in my body, I felt my breath catch in my throat as I felt someone’s presence. Directly across from me, with only the wall separating us, someone was sat, their thoughts an array of darkness and destruction.

She was here. The person thought to themselves. But where is she? Where did she go when Roth appeared?

My heart skipped a beat in my chest, and I let myself slip back into my own mind. Trying to blink my tears away, I banged my hand against the wall with all my might. “Oliver!” I screamed, still banging on the wall. “Oliver, is that you?”

Almost as if a part of my mind was still connected with his, I felt him jump at the sudden noise. “Sera?!” He asked in reply, the sound muffled by the wall.

“It’s me,” I yelled back. “I’m here.”

“How did you—?”

“No time right now.” I interrupted him. “We need to get me back in that room with you so we can get to Calliope.”

“But, Sera, there’s no doors!” He pointed out. “How will you being in here with me help?”

“Just trust me.” I yelled.

Even through the wall, I heard him groan. “You may want to move out of the way,” he called. “They left me with a bunch of chemicals – I’m sure mixing the right ones will cause something to explode.”

I wracked through my brain, trying to remember a mixture that caused an explosion, but nothing came to mind. Calliope! I pushed the thought in what I hoped was her direction.

The younger girl jumped. Sera? What’s wrong? Where are you?

I got used as a damn Counterweight, Calliope. But I’m literally a wall away from him. If I can get through, I can get us back to you.

Hurry, Sera, we don’t have much time.

I know, which is why I need to ask; what two chemicals will cause an explosion big enough to blow out a wall?

I felt her roll her eyes, even though she knew I wouldn’t be able to see. Well, we know he has sulphuric acid… ask if he has water.

Water?!

I know, I know, it sounds stupid. Just ask him, Sera. And ask him how concentrated the sulphuric acid actually is.

“Oliver!” I yelled.

“Yeah?”

“Do you have water?” I asked him.

“Well, I have a tap.”