Prologue: Siberia, 2012

Third-person POV

The chill in the late winter air was present and bone-rattling as the Avengers made their way to the half-open doors of the now-defunct HYDRA base in Siberia, Russia.

'All clear,' Tony's voice came over the comms system. 'No signs of life.' The leader, Steve, said nothing, hoping only to find his best friend there alive and well. When the doors creaked open, they were hit with a strong stench. Natasha lowered her gun and said one word that ran their blood cold.

'Death.' 

The team continued deeper into the base, and immediately they began to stumble upon bodies. Bodies of all shapes and sizes. The walls were stained with dried blood and other elements of the human body that the team couldn't care to describe, for it made them sick to do so. The team came upon a massive room, and in the centre was a chair. Around the room, multiple people laid dead, blood splattered everywhere like something out of a horror movie. In the chair in the middle of the room, sat a muscular figure with his head bowed.  The figure had thick brown hair that laid in curtains around his face, and the restraints were still on his arms. Steve cut open the restraints with a knife, pulling the body of the figure to the ground. For a moment, everything in the room seemed to ground to a halt as Steve quietly mourned the body of his dead friend, James Buchanan Barnes. Clint was standing near to them, walking around, eyeing the scene.

'Who did this?' Clint asked.

'HYDRA had a special pet project,' Natasha said, 'and they called her the Winter Phoenix. She was meant to be the next stage of human evolution, even stronger than the Soldier himself.'

'His name is Bucky,' Steve ground out, but he was in too much grief to hear the rest of what Clint and Natasha were saying.

'It seems like HYDRA got what they had coming to them,' Clint said. 'She did this? There are bite wounds... claw marks... This isn't a person or even a soldier. This is an animal.'

'She was experimented on with vampire blood to create the ultimate weapon,' Doctor Banner said over the comms. 'She's a unique - and deadly tribrid of super-soldier, mutant and vampire.' There was silence for a moment as the words sunk in. Then Steve lifted his head to look at the two former SHIELD agents with a glare that held nothing but hatred.

'I'm gonna kill that bitch.'