Chapter 4: The Vampire and the Captain

He made his way into the club and sat by the bar, waiting for her. After a few moments, his high-tech wristwatch chimed 8pm and he turned to see the door open and the tribrid killer in question walked into the building. She was now wearing a pair of camo pants, and a black shirt, long-sleeved, not at all like the last few nights she'd been arriving in dresses and heels. Her hair was let down, and he could smell the faint smell of blood around her like an aura, mingled with the smell of the rose perfume she always wore. She sat down next to him and ordered her glass of white wine like she always did. He had to hand it to her; for a killer, let alone a vampire, she was sophisticated. She was refined... And gorgeous. She took a sip of her drink.

It was a bit of a quiet night in the club that evening. Slow music played, and some couples danced, while others sat around, making conversation, completely oblivious to the Captain America sitting at the bar with a literal vampire.

'You haven't come by, darling,' she said with a sickly sweet smile as she raised the glass to her lips to take another sip.

'Yeah - it's just, I -'

'Busy?'

'Yeah.' She hummed, a soft sound that sounded like a buzzing bumblebee.

'Same,' she replied softly. A server came by, passing her a small tray of finger food, and she took it, taking a bite of the small fish in the little dish. Now was his chance. He dropped the pill into her wine as she wasn't looking, talking to the waiter about something. It bubbled and dissolved almost immediately. She turned her attention back to the drink and took a sip. She hummed softly at the taste, as he watched the pill in her drink take effect. She blinked, her eyes flickering from red and stormy and back to crystal blue again. Then her eyes closed, and she slumped against Steve, who grabbed her. Clint and Natasha came forward and helped grab her too, silently carrying her out via the back door.

No one saw.

Hours later...

She woke up with something metal itching her neck. Sitting up, she noticed the small cot that she was laying on. She came to the glass door of the cell, looking out, then let out a dark chuckle, touching her hand to the power collar encircling her throat. She slammed her fist against the glass, letting out a low growl, her vampire side protesting against the collar. She pulled, but something clanked, and she reached behind her, then eventually turned her head to look at the chain encircling her wrist.

Seconds later, she heard a slow clapping as someone walked into her view, wearing what looked like an expensive suit with a pair of glasses. He stopped in front of her cell, stopping his clapping.

'Adelaide Lehnsherr, isn't it?' he asked. 'You've become massively popular as a HYDRA agent killer. The vamp murderer, they're calling you.' She growled again, slamming her hand on the glass, tugging on the chain fruitlessly.

'You know nothing about me.'

'You're right, we don't. But we know enough. Which is why we brought you here. Why did you kill those men?'

'I'm not telling you shit,' she said with ice in her voice. 'You and your Avenger buddies can take your precious information about me and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.'

'Okay. Let's start with a simpler question. When were you turned?' She moved back to the cot and sat down. 

'1998. March 14th. They'd just finished the last round of experiments, injecting vampire blood over and over. I developed an - aptitude for human blood by then. They did it interchangeably, vampire blood, then human blood. And then, on that day, they killed me... temporarily. I woke later that day with a raging headache and the need to feed on blood. Human blood. So I fed, and after that, I was a vampire.' 

'Can you not say God's name?' 

'Why would I do that?' 

'Can you eat garlic?' 

'Never tried it.' 

'Are you an actual vampire?' 

'Did you just get all your information from movies and TV? You sound severely misinformed. For one thing, I can't stand the sight of the sun. And I have super-speed powers. And I can convince anyone to do what I want. This collar doesn't exactly stop my vampire powers.' He looked at her.

'I'll send someone to get you food - or something.' He walked away and she sighed, leaning her head against the wall. 

Hours later, she heard more footsteps. Someone all too familiar stepped into her line of sight, slipping a glass of blood through the window in the door. She took it, gulping it down and looked at Steve, her eyes changing into that stormy red colour. Instead of handing it back, she threw it against the wall, and it shattered into a million pieces. 

'You,' she snapped with venom in her voice. 'You drugged me. Why?' 

'We had to bring you in. Figure out more about you. Figure out if you're a threat.' 

'I'm doing you a favour, aren't I?' she said in a low, sultry tone. 'Killing those monsters. They don't deserve to live.' 

'And in the process, it seems you've become a monster yourself.' 

'You don't believe that, do you?' 

'What did you do to me? I can't stop thinking about you.' She smiled, her fangs slightly coming out of her gums as she let out a laugh. 

'Oh gorgeous, you're infatuated with me. I'm told I'm very charming.' 

'What did you do?' 

'I'm not telling,' she said with a sweet smile, checking her nails. 'But something tells me you know the answer to your own question, handsome.' 

'You used mind control on me.' 

'Bingo.' 

'Why?' She looked up at him, batting her lashes. 

'I'm not a monster, Rogers. Your team are the people that think I'm the monster.' 

'You're insane. You killed a family.' 

'Correction, I didn't hurt the children.' 

'But why spare them?' 

'I'm not as monstrous as you make me out to be.' 

'You seem pretty monstrous from where I'm standing.' 

'Takes one to know one, Rogers,' she said in a sing-song voice. He sighed and turned away. 'I know you'll be back for more,' she called out after him.