9| Little White Lies

If dodging Jamie's mom every time she tried to get me alone to find out more information about me was a sport, I'd be a gold medalist.

"I know what game you're playing, Ollie."

Until now, that is.

Booze. Definitively more booze. I poured some more whiskey into my glass. "I don't know what you mean, Mrs. Lovette."

Jamie's mom leaned forward, as if not to be overheard by the other wedding guests. "You think I don't know that my daughter brought you here and made up this whole cockamamie scheme about the two of you dating just to get me to back off? Come on now, Ollie, you can't pull a fast one over me."

Damn. Jamie tried to warn me multiple times that her mom had a way of seeing past her bullshit. I brushed it off with a laugh, telling her she was exaggerating and that I could handle anything Mama Lovette tried to dish out. Clearly, I should have taken Jamie's word for it. 

One other thing...I've always hated lying. The truth always seemed to come out in the end regardless, so I figured what was the point now? Besides, lying to Mrs. Lovette just seemed...wrong.

I threw back the last of the whiskey before meeting her gaze. "If you know the reason I'm here, then why haven't you outed us? You know, call Jamie out on it."

Her expression was thoughtful when her lips curved up in a small smile. "I've seen the way you look at her, Ollie. You like her. I mean...you really like her."

Goddammit. Jackson said the same shit to me. Was it that obvious?  Did everyone see the way I was looking at Jamie? Hell, did Jamie herself notice how much I was into her?

"Look, Mrs. Lovette—"

"Cherise, please."

"I don't know what you thought you saw, but I'm just here to help her out. Besides, I'm moving out of the country—"

"For work. I know. She told me." She stepped a little closer and her expression changed from thoughtful to concerned. "Don't lie to me, Ollie. Whether you're moving or not, it's obvious there's something between you two."

I stared at my empty glass, debating if I should poor another. "What makes you think that?"

Cherise chuckled and patted me on the shoulder. "I'm a mom. We know these things."

Couldn't deny that. My own mom had her own way of catching me every single time I tried to lie or get away with something. Actually, that was the main reason I gave up on lying. She always told me over and over again, 'The truth will always come out, Ollie". 

And it did. 

I shrugged and exhaled a deep breath. "Doesn't matter what I feel, Mrs. Lovette." Shit. "I mean, Cherise. She isn't into me like that. And even if she was, I'm moving. There's no way it would work."

Suddenly I really wished it would work. I've been avoiding those thoughts ever since I met her. But there was no brushing it off or avoiding it anymore. I was into her way more than I should be.

"Has she told you much about of her life, Ollie?"

At a loss for words, I just shook my head.

"I love my daughter more than anything," Cherise said softly. "I'm sure she would probably say I love her too much. But she hasn't had an easy life. Especially when it comes to relationships. She's strong. Very, very strong. But she needs someone who's going to protect her, Ollie. She needs you."