A Quest Amidst a Storm {Chapter 8}

Everyone walked back to their cabins a bit dumbfounded. We were all shocked that a child of the Big Three had made it safely to camp. I wanted to talk with Luke but it was late and the hellhound had scared everyone. Most of my cabin mates fell asleep immediately, and so did I, despite how I thought I would never fall asleep.

    The next morning, I woke up and opened up our door, taking in the sunlight, just as Chiron was taking Percy over to cabin three.   

    I saw him multiple times over the next few days. He still took lessons on Greek with Annabeth, though she didn't seem happy about it. He only ever practised sword fighting with Luke since the rest of cabin eleven was too scared of him.

Nobody really mentioned the hellhound when Percy was near, but everywhere else they talked about it. Every camper had been terrified over the hellhound. Its attack had shown that monsters would stop at nothing to destroy Percy. Clarisse even stayed away from him though I suspected she was plotting on how to get him back for breaking her spear. With all the business of those days and the coming of a Big Three child, I never really got to speak with her.

I found Luke one night walking towards the Poseidon cabin and asked him what he was up to.

"This," he said, handing me what looked like a newspaper. After focusing very hard, I was able to make out the title of the article. It said, "BOY AND MOTHER STILL MISSING AFTER FREAK CAR ACCIDENT."

"Freak car accident?" I asked.

"Yeah, Percy and his mom's car was destroyed by the minotaur."

"Oh."

"I'm giving this to Percy," Luke said. "Thought he might wanna know what the mortals think happened. But here," he said, handing me a second copy.

"Oh, thanks," I said. I wasn't sure why he was giving me one but I was curious as to what it said. Then I remembered what I had been wanting to talk to Luke about. He had already started walking away so I called out to him.

He turned to face me. "Yeah?" he asked.

"Can I ask you about Friday night?"

"I'm busy right now. But maybe later," he replied, walking off.

I turned around, grumpily walking back to my cabin. I had been waiting for a chance to talk with him and when I finally got the chance, he walked off. I plopped down on my bed and began trying to read the article. It was hard because of my dyslexia. Most demigods are born with ADHD and dyslexia. ADHD is what keeps us alive in battles and we have dyslexia because our brains are made to read Ancient Greek. Anyway, after about thirty minutes, I finally finished it.

BOY AND MOTHER STILL MISSING AFTER FREAK CAR ACCIDENT

BY EILEEN SMYTHE

Sally Jackson and son Percy are still missing one week after their mysterious disappearance. The family's badly burned '78 Camaro was discovered last Saturday on a north Long Island road with the roof ripped off and the front axle broken. The car had flipped and skidded for several hundred feet before exploding. Mother and son had gone for a weekend vacation to Montauk, but left hastily, under mysterious circumstances. Small traces of blood were found in the car and near the scene of the wreck, but there were no other signs of the missing Jacksons. Residents in the rural area reported seeing nothing unusual around the time of the accident. Ms. Jackson's husband, Gabe Ugliano, claims that his stepson, Percy Jackson, is a troubled child who has been kicked out of numerous boarding schools and has expressed violent tendencies in the past. Police would not say whether son Percy is a suspect in his mother's disappearance, but they have not ruled out foul play. Below are recent pictures of Sally Jackson and Percy. Police urge anyone with information to call the following toll-free crime stoppers hotline.