The Explosion {Chapter 15}

I woke up to the sound of thunder rolling across the Sound. I sat up groggily and looked around at my siblings. They were all still sound asleep. I looked up at the clock. It was 6:34. Breakfast was at 8:00, so like normal, my siblings needed to be woken up before 7:00 so they would have time to get ready.

I got up out of my bed and got ready for the day. I looked at the clock again. 6:57. I decided that it was time to get everyone up.

"Guys, it's time to wake up," I said to my sisters. I walked over to the boys side of the cabin and knocked on their door telling them to wake up. I heard movement inside the room so I assumed they were getting up.

Since I was already ready, I opened the front door and stepped outside. There were campers walking around outside, and I could feel the tension in the air. The campers' minds seemed to all be thinking of the oncoming war, and their attitudes definitely didn't hide it.

Jade came out and sat down beside me.

"So how long did it take you guys to go to bed?" I asked her.

"Not too long," she replied. "Maybe just over an hour? For the ones who do the longer skincare routines anyway."

"Really? Wow. I thought you guys would stay up gossiping and talking for forever."

"I think everyone decided that it was best to listen to you right then because you were exhausted and you rarely act tired."

"Oh," I said.

"Speaking of you being rarely tired, why were you so tired last night?"

"Ummm, well, I guess the excitement of yesterday got to me," I replied. Honestly, that was the best answer I could come up with. And I was telling as much of the truth as I could figure out. I didn't really know why I was that exhausted. The only reason I could actually think of was that the excitement from yesterday, and the past few days, got to me. I mean, ever since Luke asked me to join the Titans, things have been different. I had gotten better at sparring, I was better at archery, and I felt more aware of my surroundings. And everything tires me more. But I don't know why.

"Okay, well you better go do your counsellor duties and make sure everyone is ready for breakfast and inspection," Jade reminded me. "You were out here for a while before I came out."

"What do you mean, I was out here for a while?" I had only been thinking about the campers' mood for a few minutes right?

"I mean like ten minutes or fifteen minutes I think."

"Oh. Okay yeah, I should probably go inside now. Thanks for the reminder."

She nodded and we stood up.

"So, what's up with you?" Jade asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know. You keep acting weird these past few days."

"I guess the atmosphere isn't really that great," I said, opening the door. "You know with the war and stuff going on.

"Okay," she said, squeezing my hand. "Don't let the war get to you. It'll work out." She paused. Honestly for a seven year old, she is pretty smart. "Besides," she continued. "You have me as a sister, and you can't go wrong with me," she said smiling. And there is that seven year old side of her. I smiled and stepped inside.

I looked around at my cabin to see how well my siblings cleaned up.

"You guys did pretty good. Let's go get breakfast now."

They lined up at the door and started walking towards the dining pavilion. We ate our meal and started heading to the pegasus stables for lessons.

Throughout the day, there was a lot of tension in the air. There were a lot of arguments. A few fist fights. Dinner was awful. No one could say a word to each other without starting to argue. Even Castor and Pollux were arguing some. The Athena Cabin and the Ares Cabin, especially, were on each other's throats. One time they were literally on each other's throats when a son of Athena, I'm pretty sure his name was Rowan, probably muttered an insult or threat to the Ares Cabin. Layla, a daughter of Athena, snickered. Clarisse, then, literally held a dinner knife on Rowan's throat. Then, Malcolm grabbed his dinner knife and was about to point it at Clarisse until Gemma threw her hot tea from her glass at Malcolm. Malcolm flinched and cursed. Gemma pointed her dinner knife at him. Chiron shouted for them to stop and punished Clarisse, Gemma, Rowan, and Malcolm to having to muck out the pegasus stables. I was happy when dinner was finally over. Chiron told us that it was probably better for us to go to our cabins so that we were separated from each other, probably to prevent another fight. So we all headed to our cabins. But the whole preventing another fight didn't work out very well.