Chapter 1

17:00-18:00 | August 22, 2021

Hackett's Quarry Summer Camp Lodge

The last day of summer camp was bittersweet. The school bus pulled away from the summer camp. All the counsellors were waving goodbye. Alessia was waving with a smile on her face. She was going to miss those misfits. Standing beside her was Emma. Everyone had joined in saying their own goodbye to the bus. The only counsellor missing was Abigail.

"Hey Allie," Emma turned to Alessia, "I'm going to go see Abi if you want to come with me."

"Sure," Alessia replied, "I need to pick up my bag anyways."

Over the course of the summer, Alessia had grown close with the girls. Kaitlyn and her had a lot of interests and immediately clicked. Speaking of the black haired female, she was hanging with the guys with a cool demeanor. She flashed Alessia a smile from a distance and Alessia focused her attention on going to the cabins.

Sitting on the step of their cabin was Abigail. Her fiery red ombre dip-dyed hair shone in the fading sunlight. She was sketching in her book.

"Hey there party bear," Emma greeted.

"Status report?" Abigail asked them.

"We are officially empty nesters," Alessia reported.

"High five, up top," Emma raised her hands.

Alessia and Abigail high-fived Emma.

"Oh boy," Abigail said, "You're about to get your phone back, aren't you?" Abigail asked her.

Chris had confiscated their phones from what Alessia had heard. She still had hers and luckily kept it fully charged knowing that once Chris returned them, he would refuse to give them time to charge their phones. None of the counsellors knew she had her phone and she did have a couple close calls.

"Let's go collect our bags and away from this mosquito infested backwoods dump," Emma cheered.

Before she could touch the doorknob, Abigail spoke up, "Door's locked. Bags inside."

"Fu****k me," Emma let out a frustrated breath, "Well, it's obvious what we have to do here."

"Find someone with a key?" Abigail glanced over her shoulder.

Alessia would have opened the door for them if she hadn't had her master key confiscated by Chris. All as punishment for the incident in July when she managed to sneak off campgrounds and enter a restricted area.

"Shape our destiny," Emma proclaimed boldly, "And by shape our destiny, I mean shape our way through this crappy lock and grab our bags."

Abigail was hesitant and Alessia added, "We do need them. Besides, what's the worst that can happen?"

"Okay. Let's do it. We'd better not get in trouble," Abigail sighed in defeat, "Mr. Hackett's gonna find out?"

"So what?" Emma asked fearlessly, "He'll just think it was a bear or something."

"Have you ever seen a bear in these woods?" Abigail deadpanned at Emma.

"No," Emma responded, "But that doesn't mean they're not out there."

"Fair point," Abigail backed down.

"Don't worry," Alessia assured her friend, "If anything happens, I'll deal with good ole Mr. H. The most we'd get is a mild scolding."

Over the summer, Chris had tried to get closer to her and it became apparent to the other counsellors that their boss was favouring the brunette. Alessia of course used this opportunity to take advantage of the situation while keeping him at bay. She did have to endure the teasing from her coworkers and was grateful she would no longer have to do so.