enlighten me

1800

San Diego, CA

"We're the best of the best, who are they gonna get to teach us?"

I watch as the pilots all look at each other, without an answer. Should I tell them? I mean, they don't even know if I'm on their same mission yet, for sure at least. I figured I'd stay quiet. I didn't want to ruin the vibe they had going on, they clearly did not want to actually discuss the mission in the moment, they wouldn't be here if they did.

The rest of the pilots go back to playing pool, playfully arguing, having some beers. I hang back and observe. I sit on one of the barstools near the pool table. Staying within distance, but not enough that I'm intruding. Penny hands me another beer after confirming my theory that the bell ringing gave me another free drink, and I just sit and enjoy the night.

My moment of peace is put at temporary pause, when Rooster sits on the stool next to me. I glance at him from the side of my eye, noticing his arms propped up on the bar.

God, I am no better than a man.

My thought is interrupted by the sound of his voice.

"Penny, two beers, please."

I turn over to him, realizing that he was buying me a drink. "Oh, no, that's okay."

"Don't worry about it, it's on me."

I turn around to see Penny, who's giving me the eyes. I widen my gaze, almost to tell her "What is this guy doing?" She must've understood, I watched her laugh at the other side of the bar. She comes over with the two drinks, handing them to us. "I'll leave you two to talk." She says with a smirk. I'm sufficiently embarrassed at this point.

"So, how do you know Phoenix?" He asks.

"Old friends." I say. Didn't immediately wanting him knowing I was one of them, well, as close as a Marine JAG can get to a Navy pilot.

"Oh, that's nice. Can't say the same about the shirt, though." He replies, gesturing to my Marines tee.

"Got an issue with the Marine Corps?" I ask.

"Not inherently, they're just unnecessary."

I look up at him, confused. "Well that's a bold claim."

"Think about it though, we've already got branches for each type of fighting. Navy on the water, Air Force in the air, Army on land, what role do the Marines serve at this point?" He says, smirking.

This guy's got gall. I couldn't tell if he wanted me to go off on him, or to rethink and agree.

I preferred the first option.

"Well you've clearly got a lapse in you strategic knowledge regarding the roles of branches."