get to your jet

0530

MCAS Miramar

San Diego, California

"So naturally, the biggest concern here is the sheer amount of uranium this plant will be storing, which is dangerous on it's own, Nonetheless, what the enemy is going to do with the uranium."

"If this uranium were to be used for, lets just say, hypothetically, bombs, what kind of loss of life are we looking at here?" Admiral Simpson inquires.

I turn back to the screen, and down to my paper.

"Depending on the population density of the areas targeted," I feel my throat getting dry, as if I don't even want to say the number out loud. "We're looking at millions."

The two Admirals both react with an emotion I can only describe as masked panic.

"Alright, next question." Simpson says, pausing before his next statement. "How familiar are you with Captain Mitchell?"

"I, uh, haven't had the pleasure of meeting him before, although I've heard grea-" I stop myself. "I've heard stories about his time working with my dad."

Bates perks up. "I was there when they got into that brawl. Man, I had never seen Viper so mad-"

"-Regardless." Simpson interjects. "You understand why we called you here for JAG duty, yes?"

"I've heard Maverick has a tendency to get in trouble. I'll keep him under control, along with the other pilots."

Bates and Simpson exchange glances. "Alright. Pull up a chair. Let's get Mav in here." Simpson says, almost exasperated.

I pick up my files, and pull a chair up next to Bates. I feel my heart racing, despite the fact that I'd already finished my presentation. I guess Bates must've noticed.

"You're doing great, kid. Nothing to worry about-"

The door opens.

"-yet."

I immediately recognize the man. He was the guy who'd gotten thrown out of Penny's. I try to quick get a look at his face, but make accidental eye contact with him. His expression doesn't change all that much, except a slight raise of his eyebrows that told me he recognized me.

Well, this is massively embarrassing.

"Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. Your reputation precedes you." Simpson states, deadpan.

The man standing at the end of the room hesitates. "Thank you, sir." He says quietly.

Simpson slightly shakes his head. "Wasn't a complement."

Full honesty, this was not the man I was imagining after being told all these tales of the famed Maverick. I half expected a 6'5, ripped, angry looking dude with tattoos, not a maybe 5'11 wearing jeans and work boots.