2 | shallow of his eyes

SPENCER 🍒

monday, 10:07 am

with about a hundred things in my hands, i lifted my leg up, securing everything i was juggling in place with my knee as i yanked the door to the shop open.

the decision for croissants for breakfast was made and maeve was already reaching for her iced latte and croissant the second i stepped foot on the checkered tiled floor.

"you're a godsend, harvey." with giddy hands, she removes her food from my hands. she took a long sip of her drink without another minute.

i rolled my eyes, "i almost dropped everything like three times on my way back." now behind the register, i dropped all my stuff on the back table.

one of the many reasons why i adore working at redmond, is because of the shift schedule. we get to pick and choose between what shifts we want. yesterday i had the morning shift then later on maeve had the night shift. it's the opposite today.

i let my eyes roam around the customers. we're always busier mid-day than in the morning. that's why i prefer the morning shift. it's calming in a sense. plus it works out between mae and i. she loves to interact with as many people as possible. she says it's good for the spirit. i disagree. the only thing my spirit needs is peacefulness.

today's goal was to finish the second book of the series mae and i were reading. our recent thing has been reading together, it's fun when you have someone to react to everything with. mae is my someone.

"did you catch up on the chapter?" i asked over my shoulder, i could hear her unwrap her breakfast, "you fell asleep towards the end."

last night we laid upstairs, having a reading marathon, i was the one holding the book this time. we usually take turns holding, and we read the page until the other is done. i had been staring at the same page for five minutes waiting for mae to say her 'okay, i'm done.' like she normally does when we read, (i tend to read a little bit faster than her) but i looked over to see the girl was asleep.

she lifted the book in the air, "almost done but i cannot believe she said 'screw you.' at his mom's funeral!"

i shook my head with a smile on my face, turning to her. "who's to say he didn't deserve it?"

she chuckled, "not us. that's for sure."

mae is my best friend. i feel like i need to establish that now just so we're clear. mae and i went to grade school together. been glued together ever since.

she's a college girl.

i am not.

i tried the whole college scene. wasn't for me. that sounds much worse than it actually is, i promise. let's just say my life is exactly how i want it currently.

maeve is studying medicine and made the (very well appreciated but very impulsive) decision to study abroad.

which is why we landed in france.

what better way to focus on your studies than thousands of miles away from everything and everyone you know? mae says nothing beats it. but of course, she couldn't help but drag me along.

my uncle lives here in paris. and i think that's why it was such an easy transition from home to paris. i used to visit all the time, now i'm here permanently until further notice. my uncle also happens to own the very shop we're standing in now. which definitely has no relation to why we both suddenly have jobs with no prior experience.