The Project

17 years later

"Amara and Josh you will be working together, your project is about greek mythology. Now remember class you have until the end of next week to give this project in. If not you and your  partner are going straight to detention. No excuses this time!"

    I swear it seems like she's been talking for hours i wonder how long she would last if she-

    My thoughts get interrupted by Josh Lane. School's fuck boy who also happens to be my best friend and partner in crime since i could count. We didn't always hit it off but after a few arguments and a couple hang outs we became thick as thieves.

    He smirked at me. "So, my place or yours?"

    "Neither we're going to the library and you are going to do your half with no complaints."

His smirk dropped as fast as it appeared before. He may be one of the top students alongside me but he sure was lazy. "But-"

    "No buts!" i cut him off and start walking knowing he would follow.

_________________________________________

Once we reached the library we both decided to choose one of the gods for our half of the project. Josh suggested i do Athena and after a bit of research I thought she was perfect. She's everything I wish to be : wise, powerful and a complete badass. Josh chose to do Poseidon out of spite since we found out that he and Athena enemies. It would also create a great contrast and get us the best grade possible so I agreed.

    While looking for books to help, i looked around wondering what life would be like if Josh and i hadn't met that one day in kindergarten. We used to be sworn enemies as his friends were rude to me but turns out the guy didn't even know. I thought he did until one day he asked me sweetly for one of my scones and i couldn't refuse and then he helped stop one of his friends from stealing my school bag. That's when he told me he was sorry and that he didn't know anything or we would never be friends with them since i was better than them anyway (his words not mine). After those moments we started hanging out more and we slowly became inseparable. All throughout primary and middle school we stayed together and refused to be with anyone else. He was my first priority and I was his.

    Pulling me out of my thoughts suddenly my hand got stuck on a oddly familiar looking book. I couldn't place my finger in what felt so familiar about it, as i'd i had seen somewhere before. It looked antique with carefully handmade detailing on the spine. There didn't seem to be a title or an author anywhere but something about it kept making me want to look what was inside.

I tried to pull it out a few times yet it wouldn't budge. After a couple more tries it finally did and when i finally pulled out the dusty unique collection of paper the floor i was standing on started to shake.

    Panicked, I tried to head towards Josh, hoping we could figure this whole thing out together but before i could take a single step back a door has appeared. Looking around i saw everyone minding their own business , as if the door didn't even exist, that's when i realized only i could see it.  After a bit of contemplating i decided to go down the stairs thinking that whatever was down there could either be something really dangerous or exciting. Personally , i was going for the latter.