2 | The Start | July 18, 1914

OOOOOH

This chapter *shouldn't* go too much past 1000 words but you never know haha.

So. Jack has to get the gang back together again. This oughtta be interesting.

Enjoy! :)

------------------------------------

Jack is still uncertain about if he should really follow through with this. The thing is, it's crazy. The whole thing is just crazy. He has a letter from a guy who isn't even alive, who is urging him to not only get a group of people who haven't really interacted in years back together, but also to do the equivalent of solving a mystery.

Who does he think I am? Sherlock Holmes?

And it's not like Kid Blink will ever find out if Jack follows through with it all.

But Jack's conscience would know. And he couldn't live with himself knowing that he refused to grant his old friend's literal dying wish.

Jack sighs.

The thing is, he misses everyone. Race, Spot, Mush. Crutchy. Blink. Not that he'll ever see the latter two again.

David.

He misses David. He can't even remember why they fell apart. He just knows that these most recent years, nothing has made sense, and that's because David hasn't been in his life.

Maybe Blink was right. Maybe we do need each other.

So maybe it will be a good thing if he finds David.

But will David truly want to see him again?

Only one way to find out.

--------------------------

Jack remembers where the Jacobs' apartment is. True, it doesn't necessarily mean David--or his family--is living here now, but it's a start.

It's been a while since he's been in this neighborhood. The last time was probably when he and David were on good terms. And since David wasn't at Kid Blink's funeral, that means the last time Jack saw David was the year they fell apart: in 1906.

I haven't seen him in about 8 years.

The realization hits Jack like a train.

And then suddenly, he can't do this anymore.

He doesn't want to find out what happens when David sees him for the first time in eight years. He can see it now: the look of hatred, disgust, and ... disappointment. It was always the disappointment in David's eyes that killed Jack. And he knows for a fact that there will be disappointment in David's eyes when they see each other's face again.

I'm sorry, Blink, Jack apologizes weakly as he walks quickly out of the neighborhood. I can't do it. Not tonight.

He looks back one more time.

He can go to the Jacobs' appartment right now. 

He can put on a smile and hope for the best.

He can finally tell David that he's sorry, and that he wants him in his life again.

But he doesn't do any of those things.

I just can't face you tonight, David.

And so he continues walking away, and doesn't look back.