6 | The Search For An Estranged Beloved | July 19, 1914

Kind of a filler? But it moves the plot forward.

And if I write it right, the end is full of feels.

Enjoy! :)

---------------------------------

Now that they're actually looking for James Baletti for looking for Mush, Jack is beginning to see the faults in his plan.

And there are lots.

First off, he doesn't know where James Baletti is. Or if he'll actually tell them where Mush is. Let alone if he knows where Mush is.

Yeah, so there are a few cracks in Jack's plan.

But he can't tell the others that. They would all leave him in an instant.

And he just got them back again in his life.

So he keeps all his worries to himself, hoping that everything is going to sort itself out soon enough.

"You know, it's been exactly a year since Kid Blink got buried," Race comments offhandedly.

"The day of the funeral," Spot adds on to Race's statement.

"Yeah."

Jack and David stop walking and turn to look behind them. "What-what was that?"

"We ... were just saying how it's been a year since Kid Blink's funeral," Race says, confused.

"A year since the day he got buried," David presses.

"Well yeah, I thought we established that-" Race's eyes widen, finally catching on. "You don't think-"

A side smile grows on Jack's face as a flash of hope and triumph flicker in his eyes. "I think we have an idea of where to find our James Baletti."

Race's grin grows. He turns to Spot, excited. "See?! I am a genius!!"

Spot rolls his eyes good-naturedly. "And yet sometimes you're still too much a fool to realize it."

---------------------------------------------

While Jack was just here not too long ago, it's been a year for everyone else.  They're all quiet. There's no written rule about no talking in cemeteries, but it just feels like the natural thing to do.

And there it is.

The gravestone with Louis Baletti engraved in it.

Where their dear friend from years ago now rests in peace six feet below them.

It's a very sombering thought.

And sure enough, they aren't the only ones who came to visit Louis Baletti.

There he is, right there. James Baletti. Right where they thought he would be.

James doesn't turn around as they approach him cautiously. "Back again so soon?"

"You are," Jack returns, trying not to feel uneasy or have any misgivings about James's questionable tone. Was it neutral? Or did it have a hint of animosity? Jack can't tell.

Now James turns around to face them, saying nothing, eyes just the tiniest bit red.

And then Jack is flooded with sympathy. It's been a year since James's brother died. He was probably hoping to spend time alone here, and here they are, impeding on the sacredness.