24 | Unfamiliar World | September 24, 1918

I hate war.

So, so much.

I can't wrap my mind around why people would want something as awful as a war.

The only case I can understand is the newsies needing a war to be able to sell lots of papes; but making that comment is only a badly timed joke.

So, for whatever you can...

Enjoy! :)

---------------------------------------------

Never in a million years was this how David thought he would see London. Yet here he is.

The first thing that happened when he and all the other U.S. pilots arrived was a bunch of British officers welcoming them, ushering them in, bringing them to the hotel that they would be staying at while they go over training for the next few days. David's got to admit, it's a nice hotel.

But it in no way compares to home.

He pulls out the photo of him, Jack, Race, Spot, and Mush. He strokes their faces fondly. His thumb lingers on Jack's smiling face. It had taken Jack time to get used to having his picture taken, but he loves it now. Nothing like when he was a newsie always scared of being found and taken back to the Refuge. In this photo, his smile is wide, and his eyes are full of happiness.

David is glad that he'll always have this picture to remember Jack, smiling and happy.

He can't even begin to imagine what the others are going through. Not to mention that Jack and Race are being separated from each other and from Spot and Mush; they were drafted for different divisions, for whatever reason. They must be so lost and alone.

They're going to fight on the frontline while David stays in London, in no forseeable immediate danger.

I'll find you again, Jack, David thinks, tears threatening to spill. I will always find you.

They're on this continent together, right?

Surely they'll see each other again.

Hopefully they'll both survive the war and make it back home.

And they can be a family again.

------------------------------------------

Find him.

That's the only thought that's been going through Race's head since he arrived here in France. He's been disassociating for the past ... how many hours? He has no clue. The only thing that's been running through his head is find him. To find suo fratello.

He wants Spot.

He wants Jack.

He wants Mush.

He wants David.

He wants all of them.

He doesn't want to be here.

He doesn't want to be in this camp with a bunch of other soldiers, some of whom are excited to fight for their country, others who are terrified and too afraid to show it.

Some of them have tried to be friendly, but Race mostly keeps to himself.

He can't afford to care for more people who may not make it out of this war alive.