Chapter 45

A/N

Hey guys! How's life? I hope it's good!

As you guys know, this story has a TV Tropes page, and Commando64 is doing a phenomenal job of making it awesome! But, I really encourage you guys to check it out, and even help Commando64 make the page even better! Many thanks to you Commando64 for all the hard work you put into it, and I still have the link to the Tropes page in my profile. Go visit it you guys!

As always, thank you for all your reviews, I read all of them!

----------------------------------------------

"Godzilla!"

Owen sank deeper into the cushy mountain of sleeping bags, pillows, and blankets as he pressed a little closer to Elise. There was a cool breeze tonight, and the warm scales only made Owen want to sleep. Claire was leaning against him, mindful of the sore spots, but she looked ready to fall asleep as well.

Elise let out a small sigh as the small family quietly bickered amongst themselves. Zach and Grey had shown up ready for another movie night, and were surprised to see their parents show up. Things had been awkward between Karen being afraid of starting an argument, and Scott throwing wary glances at Elise. It had calmed down after Claire showed up, and then Owen made the air funny and light.

They had finished watching the Dark Knight, and Elise was slightly disappointed in the ending. It was bittersweet, and she admired Batman for his heroic sacrifice; she would give him that much for sticking to his morals so unwaveringly.

"An unmovable object."

She supposed that was something to look up to, but she still preferred the Joker. He was her hero for simply being someone she could relate to. She liked his insanity, his ability to weave several plans over one another in case one failed, and his dark view of the world.

The world Elise knew all too well. The one filled with dark, lonely nights and only a skeleton to keep company. The world that judged based on appearances and rejected the freaks who couldn't help what they looked like. Elise didn't believe Batman to be a freak.

He was a smart, handsome man who was highly respected in both his identities.

But the Joker, now that man was a freak, like herself. He was scarred, and she the only of her kind. Joker knew the stinging cuts of sharp words armored with disdainful feelings. The little cuts that never healed over, the ones that built up until it became one, giant slash that bled heavily, but never bled out.

"All it takes is a little push."

Elise was sure she had brushed with madness. She hardly remembered anything from her rampage; just the raw, burning feelings, and the heat signature of where all the humans had gathered. Elise still wondered what would have happened if she had succeeded in her destructive path.

She often pictured it ending with her withering away, or even violently ending herself.

Elise never told Owen about those thoughts. She didn't have those thoughts anymore, of when she didn't want to eat, get up, or even move. Elise didn't feel comfortable about telling Owen how she had almost raked her own talons across her throat because of bad nightmares with Small One.

Elise glanced to the side of her when Owen shifted even closer, and Claire raised a soft hand to trace the white scales. Elise felt the sincere love in the light touches, and she had started to think of Claire as a second mother. Owen was a parent as well to her, a father, and Elise was always grateful for how her life had turned around.

She had two mothers, a father, two cousins, and three new sisters.

Elise was glad she hadn't given into the madness. She was glad she had pushed herself to make it through one more night.