Chapter 23

"Objection!"

"Does she like French fries?"

Owen resisted the urge to roll his eyes; he had already said Elise was a hardcore beef lover, but that didn't stop the children from going down a long list just to be sure.

"No, she only eats meat."

"What about ice cream?"

Owen could see Claire smiling in the back of the room, and he was glad someone found this funny. He was ready to give the signal for Elise to disappear with him in tow, but she suddenly pulled her head back. Owen carefully watched her out of the corner of his eye, and jumped when Elise gave a loud roar.

She knew better than to roar around guests; he had warned her about it. The guests startled, but carefully watched for his reaction. Owen walked over to the ledge of the room, and peered out of it. He followed Elise's attentive gaze before frowning when certain sounds echoed through the forest.

"Baby...is that Blue?"

Elise shifted on her feet, and Owen blinked at the series of frequent barks. Blue was calling for help; she felt like the pack was in danger.

Owen turned back to the crowd, and calmly said, "Sorry about that, I just need a minute to figure some things out."

Claire frowned, but Owen took off his earpiece as he pulled out his radio. He almost pushed the button, but was cut off by Lowery quickly saying, "Owen, the raptors got scared by Rexy, they're headed right for you. Barry couldn't get them in the trailer. You need to shut the window in case they try to get in."

Owen knew there was no way any of those girls could jump into this room; it was Elise's face level, but he agreed completely. He didn't want to risk anything, and he walked over to the button on the wall. He pushed it, and frowned when the window didn't move.

There was no way his luck was like that. Maybe this was karma for the doughnuts, but he pushed it again. Blue's panicked cries drew much closer, and Owen motioned Claire over. He leaned over, and whispered, "The raptors are panicked, and the window won't shut. I need to get down there, and I'll calm them down, okay? Ten minutes tops."

Claire nodded, and Owen walked over to the ledge before Blue suddenly burst from the brush with Echo and Delta right next to her. Blue looked terrified, and she immediately focused on Owen. He saw the golden gaze slide over to Elise standing just close enough, and she immediately bolted for the Indominus.

"Whoa!"

Blue was not going to heed a stop order with Stern One so angrily roaring at them. Alpha was smart enough to find a big log to hide in, and Blue was going for it. Elise gave a startled yelp at the scrambling raptor, and she stepped away from the false log.

Owen knew Blue would be able to make the jump, and he made sure to stand in front of her when the blue raptor leapt from Elise's white nose. Blue easily cleared the ledge, but slipped on the cement. She gave a startled shriek, and the guests flinched back.

Owen didn't touch Blue as she tried to scramble up; he had no idea Blue would be so scared of Rexy, but it didn't surprise him. He risked a glance to the side, and his other two girls had bolted onto Elise's back as they tried to make sense of what was going on. The last time they were this panicked, Owen had simply let them be until they figured it out there was no danger.

He couldn't do that this time; there were too many guests here.

Owen waited until Blue had gotten her footing before he gave a sharp whistle, and she snapped her head towards him. She was breathing heavily, and gave a danger call that made Owen firmly say, "Easy, Blue."