Chapter 1: First Encounter

The commander of the survey corps seems very happy today. He must have had a great weekend. Yesterday, for his day off, he met with his sister in the townsquare of Wall Rose. He has been bragging his little sister's painting since this morning, showing it off to all soldiers who come by his office.

"You got another painting from your sister Erwin?" asked Hange.

"Yes, this is my third one from her. She's very talented, right?" Erwin said, pointing at the three paintings in his office wall.
"I'm so proud of her! She's beautiful, smart, sweet, kind, talented....." Erwin is not stopping and continues his long list of praise for her sister.

"He's like a fool, smiling from ear to ear since this morning." said Levi.

"Come on Levi, let him be. the commander deserves to be happy from time to time. He always carry a heavy burden on his shoulders. All the lives of our fallen commrades, humanity's safety, the pressure from the higher ranks, if he's happy now, we should also be happy for him." said Hange with a smile.

"Yeah, you're right. Anyway, do you have other tasks for me today Erwin? If there's none, I want to go to the town to buy some tea." said Levi.

"None for now. As a captain, you have a lot of free time now. You may go. But Hange, I need you to stay. I have a few questions for you about that notebook we found outside the walls during our last expedition. I'm thinking of finally giving you permission to experiement on titans." said the commander.

Levi headed for the door. it's been over a month since he's been promoted as a squad captain on Erwin's recommendation. He also received his first captain-level stipend. He's happy he can now finally buy his own premium tea leaves using the money he earned. He entered a fancy looking shop in the townsquare of Wall Rose.

"Welcome!" the shop owner greeted him warmly. She is a fat woman in her forties. "Oh it's you Captain Levi! It's an honor. What can I do for you?"

How does she know my name? Is it because I'm wearing my uniform? I haven't seen her before though. Anyway, I want to hurry up and buy that expensive tea. I can't wait to taste it. They better not disturb me when I return at the barracks, Levi thought.

"I want the most expensive tea leaves you have here." he said.

"How about this one? It's not that expensive but Beverly always buys this, so it must be really good." The fat lady handed him a black tin can of tea leaves.

Beverly? Who is that? Anyway, it doesn't matter, as long as it tastes good. The black tin can looks premium too. He's a bit relieved it's not that expensive, so he'd have spare money to buy some sugar. He always wanted to try that sweet additive in his tea ever since his days in the Underground. He can't afford it before, but he can now. He smirked a little.

"Okay, I'll take that. Thanks." he handed over the payment and took the black tin can. He was about to start to leave when someone entered the shop.

The fat shop owner smiled at the person who have just entered. "Oh Beverly, it's you! It's been a long time since you dropped by here. Is it very busy at the hospital?" asked the shop owner.

A doctor huh. It's rare for a doctor to personally go to shops and buy things since they usually order their subordinates to do errands for them.

"Yes, sorry Mrs. Hawke, it's been a bit busy at the hospital recently. I wanted to stop by here yesterday but I spent the whole day with my brother, we didn't notice the time until it was already dark." the girl named Beverly said.

"Oh Captain Levi, this is Beverly. She is -" the shop owner was still talking when the young woman stuffed some food in her mouth, cutting her off.

"Hi captain, I'm Beverly, a doctor at Wall Rose Hospital. It's nice to meet you." she smiled and offered her hand for a handshake.