𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙤𝙣𝙚 •°.

Time skip - 10 years

𝙀𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙚'𝙨 𝙥𝙤𝙫 -

I was rudely awoken by the sound of a bell. "Good morning, children." spoke Miss Harrison. "Good morning Miss Harrison." I and many others responded.
I got up from my cot and went to change. I put on a black dress with a white collar. I combed my hair back into a very tight low bun. I hated being here. I could've just stayed in the orphanage! Miss Nather was so kind. Unlike this cruel woman.
I won't have to worry about her anymore, not after today. I'm escaping. I've made a plan and it will not fail. It couldn't possibly. I'm ready for everything that could happen. I just need to get through this day first.
For my plan to work I must misbehave this entire day. Why, you ask. Well, if I misbehave enough I will be thrown into the cellar. Once there I can squeeze myself through a small window I spotted last time I was there. That's as far as my plan goes.
I went over my plan in my head at least another twenty times at breakfast. Right, I must do something here. I know the headmistress loves to be bothered at 6:30 in the morning!
"Miss Harrison!" I called. I'm already breaking one rule! We're not allowed to talk at breakfast or lunch, and dinner we are only allowed a whisper.
"Shut your mouth, child!" She hissed.
"But I have something you'd like to hear!" I yelled back. She looked around hastily like she was thinking.
"Alright then spit it out!" On my face there was a just devious smile.
"You look quite ugly in the piece of trash you call a dress!" I spoke, then went right back to eating my oatmeal.
I heard her gasp and stand. Oops!
"Emmeline!" She screeched. Miss Harrison grabbed my hair and dragged me to the cellar! My plan is working better than I thought.
I was thrown down into the cold, wet, basement. "You will come out at lunch if I feel like being nice." she sneered, then walked away shutting and locking the door. Yes! My plan is working!
Should I go now? What if she's right outside though? I should wait. But what if I wait too long? I should go for it! I was arguing with myself for what felt like an hour when I finally decided to go for it!
"Uhhh," I made the mistake of letting my hair out of the bun for now it is stuck on a hook. "Great, just great." I said to myself.
I heard footsteps and a lock opening! Oh no! I tried pulling my hair off but it was no use. I'll be caught and Miss Harrison will have bars put on this window! Then I'll never escape...
I looked down in despair and saw scissors! I grabbed them and quickly cut off the hair that was stuck. It wasn't that much so I didn't mind.
I turned my head one last time. "Hey! What are you doing?" a maid was running towards me. Without another moment of hesitation I jumped out the window and started running at fast as my legs could take me.

-

After running for at least another ten minutes I was deep into the woods near the Finishing 'school' it was more like a prison!
"I'm free!" I yelled to myself. "I'm finally free!" I started to dance around. This is the best thing that has ever happened to me! Well, I wasn't free yet I suppose.
"Alright Em, think," I mumbled to myself. "I have to go somewhere far away from here," I trailed. "Yes! I need a train ticket!" This is a great idea, just get a ticket and go to... to... New York! They'll never find me there.
I need money though. I'm sure it costs at least a dime for a ticket. Where on Earth can I get that kind of money?! I could steal... No! Emmeline snap out of it! Your a smart girl think of something! "Work?" I asked myself. I sighed knowing that was the only way.

-

I made a- well I would call that a bed. More like an area to sleep? I doesn't matter because I am very tired. I lay down and think of what this adventure will bring me. "Hopefully happiness." I smiled.
I drifted off into a deep sleep hearing nothing but crickets and bugs..

༺☆༻

Word count - 742

A/N: Alr first chapter donee!! I'm so happy bc I could think of like anything to put here so yeah... anyway you probably won't see the newsies until like chapter 3 or 4 idk

- wellroryss