𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚˚◞ ⃗

𝙀𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙚'𝙨 𝙥𝙤𝙫 -

I woke up before sunrise today. I couldn't get the thought that I might have deserved losing my parents out of my head.
Even though it's early everyone is already up and about. I still have the 60 cents left and like I've said a million times, I'm so hungry!
I looked around seeing many markets with delicious smelling food but, there more expensive. I don't really care what the food tastes like, I was never a picky eater. Mother used to say I could eat sand and like it!
I saw a sign that read '15 cents per fruit' Yes! I love all kinds of fruit! Apples, oranges, berries! This is great!
I walked up feeling my confidence being crushed since I've never really talked to anyone besides the people at school.
"Hello sir," I said avoiding eye contact.
"Why hello there." He replied. This man was elderly, probably somewhere in his 50s. His tanned skin made his long white beard stick out.
"Um.... could I please have two apples," I asked. "Yes ma'am," he answered. "30 cents," I paid him the money and took the apples. These are the most red apples I've ever seen! I thanked the man and I as on my way.
"Hey! Girl.." I turned to be faced with a wealthy looking man and a women who I think to be his wife. "Yes, sir?" The women gasped and said, "You're right! She did steal my necklace!"
"What!?" I yelled confused.
"I shall call the police!" The women stated.
"Wait! No, no, no, please don't I-I found it on the street I didn't know it was yours," I took the necklace off handing to her, "Y-y can have it back."
"Ha! That's a pathetic excuse for stealing!" The man spoke up. He grabbed my arm and started pulling me. "Ugh! Let go!" I shouted before jamming my foot right on his toes. He screamed in pain and let me go.
I started running faster than I ever have before. I was looking at the ground so I wouldn't trip on anything when I bumped into someone. I fell back hitting my head hard on the pavement.
I wanted to fall asleep right there and accept my fate. 'No! Emmeline get up! Mother and Father didn't raise a quitter!' I forced myself up and started running again. My head was pounding and it felt wet... blood
"SHOOT!" I yelled. I was bleeding really bad. I looked behind me and saw the police runner after me. One was very skinny and his legs were too brittle to let him run fast. The other man was too fat to run at all. I laughed at that but stopped and picked up my pace.
I think I've lost them. "Thank God," I whispered. I tried to ignore the fact that they'll be looking for me now. I'll get caught sooner or later if I'm not careful. I'll need to disguise myself. But how? I mean I still have to make a living...
That's when I saw it. 'Newsboys Lodginghouse'
"Huh?" Just then a light bulb went off above my head! "I'll become a newsie," I said, "and I'll dress up as a boy!" This idea is brilliant! Nobody will ever no I'm a girl. It's so perfect, I mean it could never fail.

-

By the looks of the sun it's probably around noon.  I've been laying kinda low the whole morning because I don't know who's looking for me. I still have my apple from earlier today but I don't think I need it right now. I'm not that hungry.
What I need right now is some boy clothes. I don't know really anything about New York. I think I'm lost—I've seen the same statue of some man about three times—I'll have to ask someone if they know where the nearest shop is. A shop that sells boys clothes of course.
"Excuse me, uh ma'am," I went up to a younger lady who looked no older than 25. Her hair was almost white is was so blond!
"Yes." She replied. Although she looked nice, her voice made me shiver. She stared at me like I was some kind of pest.
"I-I um could you be so kind to uh tell me where the nearest clothing shop is?" I asked as politely as possible. For some reason I was intimidated. This girl or women looked so independent, like she could tell anyone what to do and they would do it.
"Yes," she said taking me out out of my thoughts, "take a left at that sign and straight on until you see as shop that says 'Welleners'." she started to walk away.
"Thank you!" I called.
I did as she said and took a left at the sign she pointed to. 'Pearl Street' the sign read. I walked down the road for a good ten minutes thinking she gave me wrong directions or I just got lost. When I saw the store it looked really nice. I looked at myself in the reflection of the window and thought they might think I'll steal something. My hair was a knotted mess and I had dirt on my face. My dress was ripped at the ends. "Here goes nothing!" I told myself as I walked into the store.
If you thought the outside was nice you have to see the inside. It was huge! There were silk and satin, and velvet dresses. I'm not that girly but seeing this made me want to be. I finally made it to the boys section and found clothes in my size. "What you doing over there?!" I turned and saw an angry lady starring right at me. Her icy blues eyes shooting daggers right through me. "I uh just had to get clothes for my brother... he's at work and my mother is very sick so uh, she couldn't do it herself." That was pretty convincing if you ask me. I guess a got better at lying since growing up making mischief and trouble.
She gave me a nod and thankfully left me alone. I bought the clothes along with a newsies cap to hide my hair. I thought about cutting it—my hair I mean—but I would look really bad. Not the right time to think about looks Em.
I got changed in a bathroom. Holy crap! I look, I look like a boy with boobs! "Oh shit," I was clueless, "what on Earth am I gonna do now?" I could band 'em...
I know it's really bad but I have to do it. I used cloth from my dress and now, I look like a boy, just a regular newsies boy. Perfect! I snuck out the store because I don't what that lady would think or so if she saw be as a boy. I can just imagine her face! Boy I'll have a laugh!

-

I ran back the way I can and saw the lodging house. I wasn't really sure how this worked. I mean do I just walk in or something? I wasn't too late. The sun was setting and I don't think the newsies would be sleeping yet.
I walked in and saw an older man. He was wearing glasses and reading a newspaper. "Um hello?" I spoke in my most manly voice.
"Hey there. youse looking for a room?" His accent and raspy voice made it hard to hear him. "Yes sir." I answered.
"What's youse name kid?" he asked me. Crap! I hadn't thought of that yet!
"Uh my name right uh my name's Louis yea Louis." Louis is a stupid name. I do not want to be called that. Too late now Em! (I personally don't think Louis is a bad name but for the story I just said that. If your name is Louis you can change it if you want. Sorry!)

"Yes well Louis the rooms are upstairs," he started "find an open bed and introduce yourself to da boys." I nodded. "Rent is at the end of this month!" he yelled as I walked up the stairs. I heard lots of noise coming from the room. Hopefully these boys aren't so bad. I mean, what could ever even happen?

༺♡༻

Word count: 1423

Hey guys this chapter is kinda long but I'm really starting to get into the story now and I'm super excited! If you made it this far I would just like to say thank you!

- wellroryss