Chapter Sixteen

Jordan

I turned the last page of my story, of my book, and sighed at the blank page, remembering the last word printed onto its crisp new paper. It was time to return them, I knew, but I also didn't exactly want to. 

Sure, it was a non fiction. Yeah, I was reading these books to learn. But something just felt right as my eyes had scanned over the pages. Like I had done it a thousand times. I see now why Trinitie loves reading so much. It's a way of escape, to live far away from the real world. Even though I was reading the witty non fiction type of book, it had the same effect. I had trouble with a few words (uhh, I may be exaggerating.), okay, many of them, but that isn't the point.

The point is..

Well, that's something I still have to figure out.

It has been two days since I had turned on the TV. Two days since I learned of my mistakes. Two days since I have left the flat. 

Trinitie came over the morning afterwards, having a fit when she had found me curled up on the floor of the living room, fussing over my health and my sanity and my mental stableness, once again reminding me that she would be a great mother. 

This thought always makes me smile.

Trinitie had came by herself, laughing while she said that she couldn't pull Don away from the lab. He was working on something that was going to change everything, she said. She pulled me to my feet and sat me on the couch with force but always remaining gentle. She grabbed blankets and books and snack food and movies and sat beside me, her eyes gleaming with unshed tears. I know that I was sniffling; that I was shivering from being on the cold ground for too long, but I didn't even mind. Sometimes, one deserved pain.

She would hug on me and mutter reassuring phrases and quotes in my ear all the day, reading things I should know off of some website, since she knew of my investigation of knowledge. We ate junk food, chocolates and candies until our bellies were sore and our teeth were sensitive to everything.

I glanced at the clock, seeing that there was just enough time to be able to get there and return the books. I would have to get some more tomorrow once they opened. Sighing, I grabbed every book and stacked them into my arms, leaving the living room once they were situated. I wobbled down the stairs and had a bit of trouble with the front door to the store, but nonetheless was able to get to the library in one piece without further casualties. 

I opened the door to the library, the books teetering as I hurried to the front desk, slamming them ungracefully down on the tabletop. Sighing, I offered a smile to the lady behind the counter, who smiled back and started to check in the books. I took my leave, wondering what books I would want to pick up the next day.

I think I will go to the fantasy section, maybe, and find some novels with dragons and swords and things of adventure.

With this thought, I smile as I leave the Room of Knowledge, the sun already starting to set behind the tall buildings that blocked my view. I had a strange urge then to climb those buildings and see the light before it went to the other side of the world; where it would start routines and signal the end of shifts of the tired workers. 

The roads were unusually quiet, engines silent and no one moving about. A young woman appeared from an alley ahead of me, her face a mask of worry as she looked at both sides of the street before crossing. Though, I knew it wasn't only cars that she had been looking for.

What a world, where we now have to be more afraid of everything, to be uncomfortable even in our own homes.

A slow white van started creeping by at that moment, almost going the same speed of the woman who was walking hurridly down the sidewalk. I narrowed my eyes at the driver, who's face I could see in the mirror, and hurried across the street, not even checking for cars, for I knew there were none. I casually strode up to the woman and gave her a smile as I wound my arm in hers, hooking myself to her. A question shown in her eyes, though with one glance at the van, greatfullness appeared, and she smiled at me, nodding in thanks. 

I glared at the driver, who drove off quickly after one look at the blade in the waistband of my jeans. Thank goodness I didn't forget it.

We walked a little longer before I asked where she lived.

"Just a couple blocks left. Thank you so much." Her voice was soft, though with a natural commandingness, as though she was used to having to talk that way.

It was dark now, and no moon or stars twinkled at me in the sky. I left the sad feeling that it left me alone, and instead focused on getting this person home.

"It's okay. I'm trained in the arts."

"Are you really?" Her tone was surprised, though I ignored it.

"Yes, I was taught from a young age."

It was silent until we got to the last block, where she pulled off and got some keys on a chain out of her purse and slipping it into the lock, turning it to open the door. Before she went inside though, she looked back at me, seeming to be having an inner conflict.

"Would you like to come inside? I can get you some tea, or some hot chocolate. It's the least I can do."

I was shaking my head even before she finished. "I have to get back to my house."

"But it's dark out now! I don't want anything to happen to you. It would totally be all my fault." She was pleading now, trying to get reason through the barriers I created.

"Why do you care?" I accidentaly say out loud, meaning for it to stay a secret; to stay inside my mind.

"Because someone always needs another someone to be okay in this world."

I guess that saying made my mind up.

I went inside, closing the old green wooden door behind me softly as I followed her up the stairs into her apartment, which looked like one that would be owned by a college student. She led me down a hall, carpet on the floor as we got to the kitchen. It was small, with black and white tiles, counters taking up two of the four walls. A microwave sat on the counter directly across from me, a bagel sitting in its clutches, cold from being left. 

"I'm Tillie, by the way."

She seemed nice.

"Jordan." Her head tilted at the word, as if she were trying to figure out something, when it clicked and her eyes widened.

"Y-Your that one person from that murder-"

"That wasn't me." I snapped, flinching at her choice of words. "My family was killed because I didn't do something. That's it. They aren't after me anymore." I hope, I added silently as an afterthought. 

She squinted. "How old are you?" 

I looked down, embarrassed,"Almost seventeen."

I heard her gasp, and then arms go around my torso, bringing me close to her. I stiffened, but soon enough returned the affection.

"You truly do need another someone in this world." She leaned back, looking into my eyes intently. "I'm going to be one of those people."

Maybe I don't have to be fake to have friends.

|||

Better chapter? It better be. It's 12:22, and I am completely tired. Be happy. Ily guys. Alot. Feel it.

Anyway, don't forget to vote and comment, as either are appreciated. 

Nite,

~Lexie