Summer House pt 2

I make my way out of the house, my bikini clinging onto my skin as my footsteps patter through the somewhat quiet house. I walk past Laurel who is sitting on the couch on her phone. She gives me a small smile.

"Going out for a late night swim?" She asks, and I nod with a smile of my own. 

"First one of the summer," I hum, giving her one last look before opening the back door to the pool. 

As I step outside, the warm air of the summer night hits my skin. The smell of marijuana fills my nose, and I make a slight face as my eyes connect with Conrad who is sitting by the pool with his feet dipped in. 

"Hey," I offer him a small smile, and he nods in return. 

I toss my towel on the pool chair closest to me before diving into the pool, the cold water leaving slight goosebumps. I swim up to the surface, turning my body to face Conrad. 

"I thought you said weed messes with white matter,"I slightly tease, and he chuckles.

"Do you even know what white matter is?" 

"You said our brains are still developing and-"

He interrupts me, a teasing smile still on his face, "God, do you memorize everything I say?"

I can't help but scoff, turning away from him slightly, "Get over yourself, Fisher. You are the one that said smoking is dumb, and that real athletes don't put shit in their body."

He looks at the blunt in his hand before taking a hit, the smoke blowing out of his nose before he responds, "I said a lot of stuff, besides, I am not an athlete anymore."

I swim around a little, "Well, I still think you should quit."

When he doesn't answer, I turn to look at him only to find him staring back at me.

"What will you give me if I do?"

The question doesn't seem innocent, and it doesn't go over my head. As I feel some heat creeping up my cheeks, I thank God for the darkness outside. I dive underneath my water for some coolness before surfacing up again. There is a hint of an uncomfortable silence in the air before I answer with an awkward laugh.

"Nothing, I think you should quit for yourself."

A silence falls over us again, and I swim around slightly before he speaks up again.

"Why are you so okay with this debutante thing?" He puffs out more smoke, and I can't help but frown. 

"I don't know," I shrug, "Seems like it could be fun. Besides, what else is there to do?"

He scoffs, "Don't let my mom sway you into her little doll just because she never had a daughter."

I frown. 

"Conrad, what's going on with you?" I say, a little caught off guard with the way he was acting and had been acting ever since I got here, "I can tell something is off. Tell me."

He looks at me for a second, his eyes staring into mine pretty intently. 

"Avani-"

Before he has a chance to continue, four loud teenagers slam open the backdoor. Belly is the first to walk out. She is wearing her own bathing suit. She throws it next to mine before diving in, swimming towards where Conrad and I were. As she swims up beside me, she nudges me slightly, probably wanting to know more about the tense environment but I ignore her and focus my attention on Arya, Steven and Jeremiah who are talking about some bonfire. 

"You ready?" Jeremiah looks at Conrad who nods, lighting out his blunt before getting up. 

Belly and I watch Conrad walk around the pool towards the boys.