Summer Dress

When I come back to the house from hanging out with Nate and his friends, it's around 9AM. Almost everyone is already in the kitchen. Jeremiah is making breakfast, and Laurel, Susannah and my mom are sitting on the counter, my mom's eyes trained on Laurel's screen, reading something. She looks up when she hears the me walk in. 

"Good," she nods at me, giving me a smile, "You're back. Make sure you eat something." 

"Yeah, V, eggs?" Jeremiah grins, holding up his spatula up in the air, and I nod, "Scrambled with some cheddar cheese?"

I grin at him, walking over to poke him in the side, "You know me so well, Jere."

"Avani!" Susannah jumps up out of her chair, "We were just talking about going shopping for a dress. You guys have to attend tea today."

I rock on my heels slightly, Jere snickering beside me as he turns back to the pan. I elbow him. He looks at me in betrayal, rubbing the side of his stomach but I can still see a hint of a smile on his face.

He knew how much I absolutely hated shopping. 

"So who is escorting who?" Susannah asks, looking over at Jere and then into the living room. 

It's only then I notice Conrad sitting down on the couch, a brooding look on his face and a green smoothie in his hand. He's already looking back at me. 

"Not me," He drags his eyes from mine to his smoothie, "I went last year."

Jere spins back around, "I swore off balls."

Just then, Arya and Steven come into the room, laughing as it was the first thing they heard. Jere rolls his eyes at them, "The dance, guys."

I huff slightly, walking over to Belly who sat on the breakfast table with a bowl of cereal, "Okay guys, don't all fight at once over Bells and I."

Arya walks over, ruffling my hair with a proud grin, "I have trained everyone here well."

I scowl, throwing his hand off of me while Belly shakes her head, "I am not going with any of you."

She looks up in Conrad's direction mostly, "I am going to find my own date."

"Me too," I announce, turning towards the moms. 

"Maybe you could ask that boy who invited you out this morning?" My mom suggests.

Conrad stands up almost instantly at her comment.

"I'm going for a swim," He mutters, his head down as he walks out of the house.

-- -- 

A few hours later, Belly and I are sitting in Laurel's car as she drives us over to the country club. As she rolls to a stop, I open the car door and rush out. 

"Thanks Laurel," I grin at her, smoothing down my dress. 

It was a beautiful dress, and I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. It's a beautiful emerald green dress that reached right below my knees, and did wonders for my figure. It hugged me in the right places, and everyone seemed to like it when I tried it on. I also had on white gloves and a white weird ass hat headband that I did not like one bit, but Susannah said all the girls would be wearing it. My mother even told me it looked regal. I might've whined about it a little. 

Belly gets out of the car right after me. She was trying to hide her excitement, but I could tell she was looking forward to it just a little bit. 

Belly and I are about to walk towards the entrance when Laurel stops her, calling out her name. Belly looks back at the car.