Date Gone Wrong (Part 1)

A week later...

The early morning sunlight lit up the room, escaping the thick layer of the curtains. Xingqiu sat up as soon as he recognized the chirping birds that sing to him everyday. He quickly washed his face and got dressed. Today was a special day, he was going to go on a date with Chongyun. Well, sort of...It was more like a mission but what difference will it be if they're going to be together?

He grabbed a tote bag which was filled with foods and materials that can last them days. Then, he dashed out of his room and put on his shoes.

"Leaving already?" His older brother said, holding a glass of lemonade.

"Yes!"

"Run, Xingqiu, run. You don't wanna keep Chongyun waiting~"

Xingqiu rolled his eyes, fighting a smile.

"When will you be back?"

"I'm not sure," Xingqiu said, "Maybe in a day if everything goes smoothly."

His brother nodded, took a sip from his lemonade, and walked away. Wasting no more time, Xingqiu snatched his things and left, heading straight to the Adventurers Guild as Chongyun had told him to.

The air was just perfect that day. The sun warmly shined on his hair as he climbed up the stairs to the Guild. Chongyun flashed him a smile. A few others had been standing behind him. They were people Xingqiu had never seen before.

"That's everyone!" Chongyun said to Kathrynne.

"That's the guy we were waiting for?" One of the exorcists said.

"He doesn't look like a guy-" His friend whispered to him.

Chongyun coughed loudly, hoping Xingqiu didn't hear the idiots' ignorant words.

"Is he even an exorcist?" The first guy asked.

Xingqiu glanced at Chongyun nervously, fiddling with the bag he was holding.

Chongyun immediately turned to the others. With a firm look on his face, he said, "Xingqiu is a very knowledgeable friend of mine. He is aware of the art of exorcism and can be our guide since his general survival knowledge can be vital to us."

Xingqiu blushed, unable to contain the little sparks of joy he was feeling.

"Since everyone is here, I could assign you the commission," Kathrynne said, "The Guild needs the aid of you exorcists to take a trip to Tianqin Valley and the mountains surrounding it. A few evil spirits have been lurking around the city and they are suspected to have come from there. Your mission as exorcists will be to remove the source of the danger completely."

"That's it?" One exorcist asked, "piece of cake! We'll be back by evening."

They all walked down the stairs and began taking the first steps to a long trip. One guy crossed his arms behind his head and walked backwards, observing the others.

"So, I'm Lixin, what are everyone's names?" He said.

Chongyun and Xingqiu introduced themselves.

"I'm Haitao," said Lixin's friend.

"And my name is Wei," the last person said.

After a few minutes of walking, Chongyun and Xingqiu ended up walking in the back. They strolled hand in hand as the others chatted about their day and which families they come from.

"What's in here?" Chongyun asked, peering into Xingqiu's bag.

"It's some food that I prepared last night. I'm not so good at cooking though..." Xingqiu said, pursing his lips.

"What do you mean? Yes you are," Chongyun said, a serious expression on his face.

"Really?"

"Yeah, it smells so good, I can't wait to eat it."

"Haha, I'm glad!"

"I made some things too-" Chongyun said, raising a bag of his own that he'd been carrying.

"No carrots in there though, right?"

"None," he shook his head, "and you didn't make anything spicy, did you?"

"No."

"Good," Chongyun said, "I've already got enough spicy when you're around." He tightened his grip on Xingqiu's hand.

"Chongyun!!!" Xingqiu said, looking away with a flushed face. "What if they hear you?"

"Let them."

"I thought you didn't want your aunt to hear."

Chongyun sighed. "I can't let Aunty haunt us forever. If we keep fearing her, she might show up in our worst nightmares."

Xingqiu covered his mouth with his free hand, bursting out into laughter. Chongyun smiled softly, admiring the way Xingqiu's cheeks puffed up whenever he smiled or laughed. He raised Xingqiu's hand up and softly kissed his knuckles. Xingqiu just watched with wide eyes, his chest rising and falling intensely.

"It's only been a little over a week since we've been dating but your confidence has grown greatly," he told him.

Chongyun laughed while shaking his head. "My confidence? Far from it. My love for you is what's actually been growing. I still get nervous sometimes...a lot of the time. But I don't know, I just know that as long as I'm with you, I'll be safe."

"Aw..." Xingqiu said with furrowed brows and pouted lips.

"Hellooooo," Lixin called abruptly.

They both glanced over at him and the others and were surprised at how far behind they fell.

"Keep walking at this rate and we'll reach the valley next year!" He yelled.

The others laughed their heads off. The two picked up the pace and decided to save conversations for a more private time. Just like that, they reached the entrance to the valley before the burning afternoon sun. They all agreed it was the best time and place for a small break. Xingqiu took the chance to pull Chongyun away so they could eat together.

"Where do you wanna sit?" Chongyun asked.

"How about that big rock?" Xingqiu said, pointing to a rock at the side of the road.

"Okay, sure."

He sat down and made space for Xingqiu to sit beside him.

"Woah!" Xingqiu exclaimed, almost falling off the edge of the rock. He grabbed Chongyun's shoulders to stay steady.

"Oh, sorry," Chongyun said. He scooted over some more, almost falling himself.

"It's no use, won't fit the both of us. Maybe we should just sit on the grass."

"Or...maybe...nothing, nevermind."

"What is it, Chongyun? Say it."

"M-maybe you can sit on my lap...if you like," he said. He ever so slightly tugged Xingqiu's sleeve, encouraging him.

"I-um, oh sure I-" Xingqiu muffled.

He gave up trying to get the right words out and just let his body do the talking. With Chongyun's hand on his back, he carefully sat on his lap. Bit by bit, he looked up and they made eye contact.

"Am I not heavy for you?" Xingqiu asked.

"Not at all, be comfortable," Chongyun said, rubbing Xingqiu's knee.

They smiled and pulled out the food from the bag.

"Mmm~ I told you you're good at cooking," said Chongyun.

"Wait until you taste the desert."

"Mm?" Chongyun chewed what's in his mouth and tried to look into Xingqiu's bag.

"Nuh-uh, no peeking. Close your eyes, Yun."

"Okay," he did.

Xingqiu opened the container full of ice and pulled out a small bowl of shaved ice cream that he'd prepared. He placed it on his legs and grabbed a spoonful. He softly held Chongyun's chin, which made him open his mouth, and fed him the spoonful. Chongyun opened his eyes, a childlike grin on his face.

Continue -->