Date Gone Wrong (Part 2)

Once they finished eating, they joined the group to discuss their next steps.

"Finally, let's get this job done," Lixin said, taking leadership. "We're all going to split up and search in different directions. If you spot an evil spirit, call me. And if I spot one, I'll exorcise it."

"What if we don't find anything?" Haitao asked.

"Uh...if you don't find anything after a while, just come back here. We'll regroup," Lixin said.

Everyone gave a nod of understanding and scattered. On a clear day like that, it should've been easy for them to notice any strange presence but the search was painfully dreadful. Still though, Chongyun put his all into it as always, hoping this would be the day finally sees an actual evil spirit. After about half an hour of walking around in circles, he heard something.

"Over here!" Haitao's voice called.

Chongyun quickly sprinted into that direction and met up with Haitao.

"Did you see one?" Lixin said, joining them as the others did too.

"Well, yeah, it's weird actually-"

"Can you explain better? You're not making any sense whatsoever."

"I mean I saw an evil spirit, yes. But it ran away when you guys came, I think it went that way."

"It's probably my fault...Sorry" Chongyun said, looking down.

"No, Chongyun-" Xingqiu said, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"What do you mean?" Lixin asked.

""I have a condition which causes high surges of pure yang energy."

Lixing groaned in an annoyed manner, brushing his hair back aggressively.

"Sorry..." Chongyun said again.

"Then why are you here? You obviously know that your energy drives them away, why did you accept this commission in the first place?" Lixin asked, holding his arms in the air as he waited for an answer.

"I come from a family of thaumatur-"

"That's not what I'm asking, hello?"

"Don't yell at him," Xingqiu snapped, glaring at Lixin.

"Stay out of it, you're not even an exorcist," Lixin said. His tone was rude but his voice was oddly calm this time which pissed Xingqiu off.

"Should we really be fighting right now..." Wei said.

"Fine. Whatever. Which way did you stay the stupid spirit went?"

"That way," Haitao said, pointing again towards the mountains.

Lixing side-eyed Chongyun hard before turning to lead the way once more. Chongyun slid his hand down, holding Xingqiu's clenched fist. "It's okay," he whispered.

Xingqiu let out a deep breath and they carried on in silence. It was the middle of the night by the time they reached the top of the mountains. No signs of a spirit on their way there. Their bodies finally reached their limit and they knew they had no choice but to set camp.

"The Guild only gave us three tents so you can all go ahead and share, I'll just take this one," Lixin said, snatching one away all to himself.

"We were already planning to do that, thanks though!" Xingqiu said with an obnoxious smile.

They assembled their tents. Chongyun and Xingqiu got inside their sleeping bags and laid there in silence. All they could hear was the sound of whispering winds and sleepless crickets. In complete darkness, they searched for each other's hand and clasped them together.

"I'm glad I invited you to come with me," Chongyun said.

"Me too! If you hadn't we would've been separated for days. I cannot imagine that," Xingqiu said.

"I just don't know what I would do without you. Whenever you're not around I always mess up and something goes wrong."

Xingqiu turned his head to the side. Even though he couldn't see anything in the dark, he could picture the gloomy look on Chongyun's face. He knew every expression he made in each situation, and he could always recognize the feelings in Chongyun's tone of voice.

"I know you always do your best...you don't have to be so harsh on yourself. If something goes wrong, it doesn't always have to be your fault," Xingqiu said.

"You think so?"

"I know so."

"Okay. I trust you, Xingqiu," he said, squeezing his hand.

Continue -->