Chapter 1

I and my brother stared at the screen for a moment and waited for the siren to stop. While there was a siren, we heard people's loud screams of excitement outside. This apartment has a lot of people who do a lot of illegal things, like stealing. Which is a smart thing to do than killing each other's faces.

After the siren stopped, my brother went to sleep after he turned off the TV while I continued reading my book. The book that I bought and am reading right now is an action novel. It's about a girl who gets stronger after losing her boyfriend. Cringe? I know.

I badly want to close my eyes and sleep, but my gut tells me not to. Sighed, I went to my room to look for something.

When I went inside, I thought of packing the things I needed just in case. So I grabbed a backpack and headed to my cabinet-where I hid my 50,000 dollars. It's my savings and most of the money is from the government, where they offered us 5,000 dollars to stay in our homes. The rest are bonuses for me for engaging in the killing. I killed in defense, by the way.

I then got into the kitchen and grabbed some snacks and medkits. I kneeled below the kitchen sink and grabbed my gun under it. Yeah, it's crazy that I do things like this, but it's for survival. Being a clever woman, I steal money from anyone. For 12 hours, everything is legal. I'm half mad at the founding fathers. After all, they're the reason my mother died, but I'm half happy because they let me do crazy stuff.

I opened one of the kitchen cabinets to get bullets and reload my gun with it, and then placed the gun in the waistband of my jeans. Inside the fridge, I grabbed four water bottles that I have prepared early in the morning and put them in the bag.

When I went back to the living room, Matthew wasn't there. I went to his bedroom, only to see him also packing something. "You've also thought about packing, huh?" I asked. He nodded in response.

I saw him holding his favorite armor knife that I bought for him last year. We both trained inside the apartment, and it was fine-I guess.

I sighed and sat on his bed-still watching him pack the stuff he needed including our mother's photo.

"I miss mom. Can we go to her grave tomorrow?" He asked. I nodded. "Sure, but for now, let's survive the night." I then put my hand on his fluffy hair.

"So.. that Louis guy is your lab partner at school?" My eyes widened. "W-what about him and how did you know he was my lab partner?" I never told him about Louis.

"Kath texted me that you were talking to this guy that is your lab partner while working. Who is he to you?" He asked and stared at me seriously. "A friend and a partner, of course."

"Good, I thought you two were dating because I saw you yesterday at school talking to that guy. He's much more of a popular student in school, you know?"

I looked at him with my face completely blank. Both of them seriously need to stop being overprotective siblings.

Louis is just my friend and my lab partner, and I know that he's popular in school-he does not look or act like a bad guy anyway.

I shook my head and chuckled. "Yeah, sure. Well, are you and Chrissy dating?" I said, turning the table around. He glared at me and shook his head. "No, of course. Chrissy is just like my best friend, Elle. Nothing else." I smirked when he didn't call me "Sis".

"Oh? Then tell me why you gave her a box of chocolates with a beautiful bouquet of white roses last Valentine's Day."

"Because she's my best friend, Ele."

"Of course she is. That Steven boy has Chrissy's heart after all," I mumbled, but he could still hear me. His face went red as he glared at me.

"You like her, don't you? Then stop being a chicken and tell her, boy," I said, then gently smiled at him. Giving up, he sighed and shook his head. His red frowny face disappeared and changed to being calm. "You know a lot, huh?"

"Well, what can you say? Sister knows best."

We both chuckled, and then we headed back to the living room with our backpacks.

Mat went to sleep again while I continued to read my book. I badly want to sleep, but I can't.

I looked at my phone that was on the TV table. Someone was calling. I sighed and walked there to pick it up.

It's an unknown number. I sighed again and answered it. "Hello?"

"..."

"Is this a troll? Well, darn you're not good at making crimes," I added, and was about to cancel the call when I heard someone's voice.

"Elle, it's me, Louis." Dammit.

"H-Hey, Louis! How did you get my number? " Darn it, Eleanor. You should've said those!

"You gave me your number at the lab, remember? Anyway, stay safe." I was about to say something when he canceled the call. Gosh, dang it, Elle.

I sighed for the nth time and was about to shove my phone into my jeans pocket when it rang. I quickly accepted the call. "Hey, Louis. I'm very sorry I said those words to you. I thought you were a troll---"

"Hello, Miss Serial. It's nice to talk with you again. Anyhow, you're in a dangerous situation starting in..." My eyes widened when the voice wasn't Louis' but a man with a teasing voice. I shoved my phone into my pocket and quickly grabbed our backpacks. As Mat noticed me moving too much and too fast, he quickly got up and grabbed something from below the TV table. A silencer.

I glared at him after I tossed our backpacks to him. "Argue later, hide in your room now," I said. He gulped and nodded before sprinting to his room. I pulled out my gun from my waistband and prepared to face danger.

I pointed my gun at the door when I heard footsteps coming. I had a smirk plastered on my lips, feeling excited about what was about to happen next.

Bring it on.