Part 2: First Island Cleared

After obliterating the Trainer's School, I have to "show affection" by petting it's face before getting into Hau'oli City. This time we don't need another tut-. Of course there's another tutorial, this time how to hello which I guess is probably the most useful tutorial out of all the tutorials in this game. Luckily, ten steps later we don't have another huge cutscene plus a tutorial. Of course we do, this is Gen 7, the generation that treats you like a baby until late-game where they just throw a Pokémon with the highest base stat total in the whole game plus omni-boosts and probably 10 levels higher than your team. 

Lillie asks me questions about clothing and gives me a totally useless Lens Case. The clothing shop here also sucks but at least I can change my hair to medium-layered black which I think looks good.

I make it to the Pokemon Center where Illima teaches me about Totem Stickers and Team Skull and now I can finally get my encounter which is a Grimer I name Toxi who has a Mild nature which is kinda meh. 

I also meet Team Skull on the way who I absolutely demolish and Illima walks in and battles me. First is his Yungoos who goes down to some Leafages from Archer. Next is Smeargle who I poison with Toxi and Bite it to death. 

Lillie gives me free revives but for me it's free money. I also need to "show affection" to the Tauros again, this time by grabbing it by the horns. Not sure if that is a sign of affection. I also get an Ekans I name Snake because that's Ekans backwards. That probably wasn't a great encounter seeing as I just caught Toxi the Grimer who has a better nature anyways.I also catch a Ghastly in Hau'oli Cemetary I name Shadoflare who also has a pretty meh nature.

At Big Wave Beach, I run into Team Skull again but Toxi can still Bite their Drowzee to death. The Ultra Recon Squad says more weird stuff, this time about the trials and Hau gives me more revives or for me more money. Then it's time for the trial.

I need to find three Pokemon and defeat them. The first two can be taken down from a few Bites from Toxi. Of course Team Skull also has to come and interfere because why not. But they also got demolished the same way the two Yungoos did. The Gumshoos also goes down the same way Team Skull and the Youngoos did. Toxi is definitely carrying this Trial but I had a different plan for the Totem. Back in Hau'oli City I got the TM for Echoed Voice which has a base power of 40 but increases every time you use it. I taught it to Archer and he demolished the Totem Gumshoos and the ally Yungoos (to be fair he did kinda survive on 3 HP). Now I have a crystal that I can't use and I have to hear weird sayings from the Ultra Recon Squad about my thing I can't use. I'd be pretty happy to give it to them. 

On the bright side, I can get an encounter here

On the bright side, I can get an encounter here. It's a Yungoos. I was really hoping for Noibat so I could have a Dragon type this early in the game. I name it Goons. It also has a trash nature so its in the box for now.

It's tutorial time with Professor Kukui. This time it's how to use Z-Moves. Something I can't use and a time drainer.

On Route 3, I encounter a shadow on purpose so I can catch a Spearow. I name him Spear and immediately trade him for a Hawlucha in the Pokemon Center named Cha. It has a Brave nature which is ok. It's less speed but more attack which I can take. I replace Cha with Garfield.

I make it to Melemele Meadow where Lillie lost Nebby so I have to go in and save it. I also catch and Oricorio I name Orangw on accident when trying to name it Orange. It has an ok nature so I decide to swap it out with Gru. I make it to Cosmog where the Ultra Recon Squad is conducting experiments on it so I have to battle them.

I try to Echoed Voice spam with Archer but that's not working so I switch into Shadoflare to Curse stall because he can't hit me. Archer also evolves into Dartrix and I talk to Nebby on accident meaning I have to go into a forced Hau battle. Archer can Razor Leaf Popplio and Echoed Voice Pikachu and Noibat.

I head back into Seaward Cave where I catch a Smoochum I name Chump. Chump has a neutral nature so he's getting boxed. Now it's time for the Grand Trial.

I give Archer the Sharp Beak but Peck isn't doin a lot of damage. Eventually, I kill the Machop. Makuhita's Arm Thrusts are doing nothing to me so I decide to heal up a bit and then set up Echoed Voices and that kills the Makuhita. For some reason his Crabbrawler decides to spam Leer and I can take it out with some more Echoed Voices. That's the first island cleared with zero deaths.

Hala gives me a Ride Pager with a Tauros which is basically Rock Smash

Hala gives me a Ride Pager with a Tauros which is basically Rock Smash. I do have two more encounters here though. In Ten Karat Hill, I catch a Carbink I name Binkie. It's a Rock Fairy type which could be very useful. The big problem is that it doesn't learn a Fairy type move until level 50. It also has a Gentle nature I probably won't be using it for Lana's trial, Kiawe's trial is a physical attacker, and Mallow's is a physical attacker and super effective. Safe to say I won't be using this one.

In the Farthest Hollow, I catch a Machop I name Lettuce. It has a neutral nature but I have already have Cha so he's getting boxed with Binkie.

I also need to take a commemorative photo before leaving so I do that and Hau and his newly evolved Brionne walk up and tell us to go Mantine Surfing instead of going on Kukui's boat. I also meet Samson Oak who will sit at Heahea Beach for the entire game. Now, it's time for some Mantine Surfing. You can get BP which you can exchange for useful moves but I don't feel like Mantine Surfing more than the one time required so now it's time to go to Akala Island.