Unfinished Business

Water is the essence of life. In a way, it's what makes the world turn. We all operate on a simple molecule, all held together in a liquid form. I guess that's the reason why it feels so nice to have its normally cool temperature wash over my body, serving as a nice break from reality. I could always use the breaks, especially during the night. In fact, the night seems to be the only time I can get a break. The quiet stillness of the hours passing by makes it almost a shame to go to sleep. I'd rather keep my eyes open and my mind free than to fall asleep to those same old dreams. I guess even that would be lonely at some point. A quiet night without the fire to keep some light inside.

Shaking my head, I quickly rub my hands over my face from under the water. I was thinking about it again. Fire. And who it relates to... It never seems to leave my mind, like a burn on my memories. It leaves a nasty scar that can never hide from sight, huh? Damn it. It's funny though. My therapist says that I should try to confront these memories. Or feelings. It's easier to just hide away from them, to take my time in the shower or even getting up from bed. My therapist also says that I should try to get out and meet new people. That idea has never really excited me though... I work as a manager at a fucking music studio, so I already have to meet a lot of clients every day. What would be the point of getting to know others? Sirens aren't supposed to have friends, aren't they? Or...

Suddenly, the water stops flowing, leaving my wet body with some soap suds still left on me. What the hell happened this time...? I swear, if Aria forgot to pay the stupid water bill again, I will kill her. Turning to my left, I slide open the shower door quickly and grab the pink towel on top of the clothes hamper, throwing it around myself. "Aria!" I yell as I open the bathroom door, looking right and down the hallway with a clenched fist.

"What?" I hear Aria respond in an annoyed manner, not bothering to come make eye contact with me.

"Did you forget to pay the water bill again?" I ask her in an angry tone, holding onto the door as if it was her throat.

"I turned off the water because you're taking too long again!" Aria yells back snarkily with a laugh following after.

"Damn it, Aria! I was almost done!"

"Then learn to take faster showers like Sonata and I!" she yells at me with a chuckle to herself, finally walking into the hallway to look back at me. Of course, she has another lollipop in her mouth, looking at me in a smug manner.

"Just turn the fucking water back on or I will throw your mattress out of this apartment!" Aria acts surprised as she hears my statement, placing both of her hands on her cheeks.

"Oh no! Don't do that! But seriously, Adagio. What would you do? Push it out the window?" With that, Aria laughs while holding her stomach, gently leaning against the hallway wall.

"Aria, I swear-"

"Alright, alright. Cool it," she states, holding her hand up. "I'll turn your 'fucking water' back on." Once again, Aria laughs as she walks back into the kitchen area of our apartment, flipping me off as she does so. Why does she have to be such a prick? And why do I deal with it? I could kick her out, right?

"Hi, Dagi~" a chipper voice greets me from behind me, making me jump back into the bathroom. To the left of the bathroom door, Sonata stands in the empty hallway with a smile on her face, her work clothes in her hand. "When you're done, could you come get me? I need a shower before I go to work~" Sonata asks me with a kind expression on her face.

"As long as you get your girlfriend back in line," I state in a tired voice, pointing down the hallway to the door Aria walked back inside. "She's being a bitch again."

"Oh! I'm sorry! It's probably a side effect of the new insomnia medication~ I thought you would remember that. The doctor made a big deal about how this medicine could make her argumentative and all." Nevermind the fact that Aria has always been argumentative... But I will admit that it's been worse lately.