C h a p t e r 1 - who am I?

Darkness.
It's everywhere around me, wrapping around me like a blanket.
It's up there, and over here, and under me.
There was no light, and no way to walk.
I was just floating in the black abyss.
Where am I?
I don't know. I tried to retrace my steps; to figure out why I'm here, but I can't remember. I can't remember anything.
Am I dead? Is this hell? What the heck is a hell?
More importantly though..
Who am I?

I tried hard to remember, but I just can't. My mind is suddenly an empty slate.
Whispers surrounded me, complimenting the darkness. My ears perked up as I listened to what they said.

Set us free.
Set us free.
Help me.
Who am I?

After awhile, I stopped listening. It became overwhelming.
Are they trapped here too?
Is this a prison?
Am I ever going to get out of here?

I began to panic.
Who am I? Where am I? Is this hell? Is this a prison? Am I repeating myself? I'm going crazy already, aren't I?
"Let me out!!" I screeched, although the darkness filled my lungs again and made me drowsy.
I began to cry, "Please, let. Me. Free..." I gurgled out.
And just like that, a bright light, bright than I've ever seen before, fought off the darkness and brought me closer.

I braced myself for a new life wrapped in light, but when I got to the light, I fell.
SPLAT.

I was covered in ink, from head-to-toe. In fact, I was drenched in it. I tried wiping myself, but all it did was smear it in.
Does it have to dry? Is that how you get it off?
Taking my attention off of myself, I looked around.
Where am I?

This new place looked familiar. Below me was ink-stained wooden floors, and above me was dull yellow and orange lights dangling from the ceiling.
Around me was even more to see. I seemed to be on some inky pathway. In the distance, I saw a river, blackened because of ink. And behind me was the abyss. Or well, the source of the abyss.
The ink machine.

It was pumping out ink as if my life depended on it. Did my life depend on it?
I did, after all, come from that dark abyss of ink.
Is that my mother? No. No it's not. I don't think I have a mother then.
But I came from its inky womb. That's where newborn babies come from. The womb.
How do I know this stuff?

Is it instinct? Do I still remember who I am subconsciously?
I think I was reincarnated. Does that mean I did something wrong? Something unforgivable to the point it needed to be punished? I don't know. I just don't know.

There was a dark chuckle behind me, making my muscles tense up. I didn't even notice before, but someone was here with me. They were there that whole time.
I tried to say hello, but when I opened my mouth a bunch of ink poured out from inside of my body. Vomit. Inky vomit.

"Ew, how gross. Ah but oh well, that whole process is gross." The figure talked to themself and took a step toward me. I growled at them in response, scooting away. I'm not gross.
"Hey, it's okay..." The figure spoke in a soft voice, "I won't hurt you." They kneeled down and I saw who they were. They had a demon mask on that looked like it came from a cartoon, and ink-stained overalls with black inky skin.

I relaxed a little, but didn't stop growling.
They sighed softly, "My name is Sammy, what's yours?" He stood up and offered a hand to me.
I took his hand, confused, and he lifted me up abruptly onto my wobbly feet. I almost fell on him, but he caught me, "I-I- I don't know my name..." My voice sound hoarse as I spoke, yet it was squeaky, like a little child's.

"Ah, that's alright, you'll probably find it out soon. Almost everyone does." Sammy place me on his shoulders and started to head in another direction away from the ink machine, which was still pumping out ink. My ears perked up. He noticed, "Hmmm," he stopped and with one hand he poked one, "Wolf ears."
"Wolf? What's a wolf?"
Sammy started laughing, "Why, it's you! You're a wolf- I think-" He started doubting himself, "You do have the ears.."

He began walking once more.
"Where are we going?"
"To get you cleaned up!" He chuckled, "You don't want to be an ink blob with wolf ears, right?"
I simply nodded, leaning on him and breathing softly.
Sammy chuckled, "just as I thought!"

We entered a room with worn-out looking sinks and small stalls that gave a dreadful smell. My nose wrinkled in disgust, "What is this place?"
"A bathroom. It's where grownups used to go potty." He explained to me, as if talking to a two year old, which for some reason got under my skin.

Sammy placed me down onto the sink's counter, then walked over to a chest in the corner of the bathroom, rummaging in it in hopes of finding an old wash rag.
I watched him curiously, tilting my inky head.
What was he doing?

"Aha, here it is!" He grabbed the ink-stained wash rag from the chest. With that, he wetted the rag and began washing me down. Slowly, the ink came off. Very, very, very slowly. Sammy stayed patient and scrubbed the ink of my gray skin.. or well, fur.
I wasn't human anymore. I'm not even sure if I was to begin with.

It was an entire hour until I was semi-clean. I was at least clean enough to be presentable.
"There! All clean!" Sammy chimed, turning me to face the mirror.
My eyes widened in awe.

That person in the mirror was someone I didn't recognize. She was a small cartoon wolf with pac-man eyes instead of (e/c) ones. Upon her head was a pair of wolf ears, one folded and the other standing straight up with alert, and on her face was a black button nose.
Panic rose inside of me. This wasn't me, was it? No, this had to be someone else... this has to be a dream!
It has to!

Sammy looked to be in awe too, "Wow, the ink seemed to like you. Look at that cute little face!" He squished my fuzzy cheeks, "Now, I'll be back. I gotta get you some clothes."
Clothes? Oh right. I'm naked. That must be why I feel so bare.

Sammy left the bathroom, leaving me all alone with my reflection. I continued looking into the mirror until I couldn't handle it anymore.
No. No. This can't be happening. This wasn't supposed to be happening. I was supposed to go back home to my mother with Parker, after finding my uncle.
...
Parker? Wait a minute, I don't know a Parker. Right?
I tried to remember, but unlike other times, a blurry image came to my head. It was of a black-hooded girl with long blonde hair. It was Parker.
Realization hit me. It was Parker!

"Parker!" I said aloud, getting off the sink. When my feet hit the floor, I almost fell, but I gripped the counter tightly. Once I felt as though it was safe to walk, I scurried out of the bathroom.

I have to find Parker! I have to be there for her, even if I can't remember who the hell I am.
Maybe she will.