Chapter Fourteen: The Mystery of the Missing Chicken Broth

Disclaimer

Twilight and all affiliated characters are the property of Stephanie Meyer. I do not own any of the aforementioned characters except Beth and the plot of this story (that is, should it stray from the original Twilight). This story is for entertainment only and is not part of the official storyline. I am not in any way, shape, or form benefiting financially from the publishing of this story on this site and am very grateful for Mrs. Meyer's creation. Besides, if I did own Twilight, I'd be able to pay for my college tuition!

"Your grandma told me that she'd stop by to check on you around lunch, so don't worry about getting up to make anything," said the Chief of Police, idly fiddling with his car keys, their jangling loud but not disturbing to the young woman lying on...

"Your grandma told me that she'd stop by to check on you around lunch, so don't worry about getting up to make anything," said the Chief of Police, idly fiddling with his car keys, their jangling loud but not disturbing to the young woman lying on the couch with her arm over her eyes. Beth barely shifted, nostrils flaring before nodding, the pain in her abdomen increasing with every passing second. Her period was something that she dreaded every month, as most women did.

As Gen in her past life, she hadn't felt such pains, and when it became increasingly obvious to Renee that what her daughter was going through, very clearly wasn't normal. It had happened when she and Bella were fourteen, and her sister had found her lying on her side, curled up in a ball, silent tears rolling down her cheeks.

Charlie wished so very badly that his daughter wouldn't have to go through this. But what more could he really do?

Sensing her father's struggle, Beth peered up at him, "It's fine, dad." What a lie that was. The walls in her uterus clenched and unclenched as if to reprimand, " you can go."

Gritting her teeth, she tossed him a half-hearted smile and watched as he finally acceded and left. The sound of his cruiser instilled pure relief because finally, she was alone. Bella had left long before him in order to reach her first-class time.

With a groan of pain, she turned over to the back of the couch and hugged herself awkwardly, trying in vain to get some sleep. Sleep always helped, right?

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

It must have been quarter to twelve when she woke to a light tap on one of her covered feet. She jumped slightly before the face of her grandmother came into her view. One of her eyebrows peaked down in concern,

"Come on, sleepy head," she beckoned, "It's late enough already. Time to get up." She reached over and handed her a glass of cool water, condensation just beginning to form.

"Thank you," Beth sat up, and almost immediately, two familiar blue tablets were handed to her as well. "Have you been here long, grandma?"

"Oh! Not at all." Her grandmother responded, shrugging off her bulky raincoat before placing it onto the coat rack beside the front door.

"I was thinking of making you some chicken soup for lunch?"

Beth nodded, smiling slightly. She'd never had her grandma Swan's chicken soup but based on her proficient skill and excellent food that she had the night they all went over to their house for dinner, just the thought of it was heavenly. Dozing off again, she was startled by a cupboard door shutting in the kitchen,