Part I

It was unclear why Reginald had kept her away from them.

They only ever saw her on missions, their mysterious and elusive number 8: The Mirror. She was not one of their siblings, no. She didn't live in the Hargreeves mansion, nor did she bear the Hargreeves name. She was just their teammate and nothing beyond that. Until Ben Hargreeves fell in love with her.

It was always bound to happen and the others should've seen it coming. The quietest and most curious of them all getting close to the sweet and enigmatic girl they all saw once in a while.

They should've seen it coming when he invited her to Griddy's donuts to befriend them one day.

They should've seen it coming when he began sneaking out to meet her every night.

They should've seen it coming when he brought her home to meet Grace for the first time.

They should've seen it coming when she was the one he went to for comfort after Five's disappearance.

Yet the only realized it when they saw the headlines of every newspaper and TV channel boasting their engagement. What oblivious idiots.

Y/N smiled as she was reminded of it by a magazine that proudly displayed it as it's title. 'Ex Umbrella Academy members to tie the knot!' She picked it up and flicked through, scanning a few pages before she landed on the one of interest.

Famous novelist Ben Hargreeves was photographed proposing to his girlfriend and the country's leading film director, Y/N L/N, earlier this month. The philanthropist duo are rumored to be married later this year, although an official statement is awaited.

"Philanthropist couple?" A voice coaxed Y/N out of her thoughts as a pair of arms encircled her waist, "Much better than 'Ex Umbrella Academy members'.".

The Mirror leaned back into what she recognized as the warm embrace of her fiance and she turned her head to look at the handsome man. He was giving her one of those adorable, contagious smiles and she was helpless but to smile back and give him a peck on his lips. He wasn't having it. He pulled her closer to deepen the kiss.

The old man clearing his throat at the store counter snapped the duo out of their moment. Their faces flushed and Ben leaned over to pick up the bag of groceries as Y/N swiped her card, shooting the cashier an apologetic smile.

"Say, aren't you those kids in the magazines?" he asked, expertly ignoring the moment that has just transpired.

"That's us!" Ben said with a smile.

The old man flashed a toothy grin, "Can I get a picture?".

"Of course!" Y/N replied, pulling Ben close as the man held up his phone camera to take a selfie with the celebrities he likely hadn't heard of before today.

"We're going now live to a breaking story," The man on the news channel announced in an urgent tone, snapping the trio's attention away from the camera and to the TV.

"Moments ago, police reported the death of the most eccentric and reclusive billionaire..."

Ben and Y/N froze as a picture of a man all too familiar to them flashed up on the screen. They glanced at one another, as though they couldn't believe their own senses.

"It's Reginald Hargreeves!" the cashier announced.