Part III

"You're seriously going to do this today?" the familiar voice belonging to Allison Hargreeves rang around the entrance hall, making Y/N gulp. The drama had already begun. Ben tightened his grip on her hand as the two continued their descent down the stairs.

"Way to dress for the occasion by the way," she commented, sarcasm dripping from every word. As Ben and Y/N came into view, they could now clearly see who she was speaking to. Diego Hargreeves, who was donning black tactile gear. Vanya Hargreeves stood there too, gazing down at the floor with a melancholic expression and it didn't take a genius to figure out what had transpired.

Diego rolled his eyes at the words of his sister, "At least I'm wearing black," he replied, attacking Allison's choice of an azure blue top. He marched up the stairs and even continued walking when he saw the couple that stood at the top of the first flight of stairs, but he gave them a smile and a salute, showing that he held no bitterness towards either of them.

"Hey guys," Allison greeted as the couple finally proceeded down the final few steps before they joined the two women on the ground floor. "Congratulations on the engagement," she finished. Vanya looked paler than before their arrival, she fidgeted nervously, giving Y/N an smile when eye contact was made.

"Hi Allison," Ben grinned at the taller of his two sisters before he turned to the other, "Hello Vanya.". Vanya raised a hand and gave her brother and his fiancee a small, shy wave before she spoke up.

"It's nice seeing you all, but maybe Diego's right, and I shouldn't-" She was cut off by Allison.

"Forget about him," Allison gently voiced, "I'm glad you're here.".

"So am I. You have a right to be here sis," Ben assured her.

Y/N said nothing, but pulled Vanya into a much needed hug, allowing her friend to nuzzle into her neck and relax into her body. She soon pulled away when Grace walked across the hall humming before disappearing into the basement kitchen.

"Is mom alright?" Vanya inquired in a soft tone, looking round at her siblings.

Y/N shared a glance with Ben, and saw the raw concern which was evident in his eyes. He had always been a bit of a mama's boy growing up, more so because she had been the only nurturing adult in his life. Y/N understood how much she meant to him, so she didn't hesitate to speak up.

"I'm sure she just needs recharging, but I'll check up on her," she comforted the group of siblings that looked at her gratefully. 

"I'll come with you," Ben piped up, following her after directing one last smile to his sisters. Together, they proceeded down the stone steps which were nowhere near as intricate as the ones leading to the higher levels. It was dark down in the basement, with the only light coming from the end of the narrow passage where the kitchen was. 

Finally entering the kitchen, which in the past functioned as more of a chill-out zone for the siblings, Ben's eyes immediately landed on his mother and he began making his way to her with his girlfriend in tow. The robot sat on a wooden chair facing the door. Her elbow rested on the table and her hand was propped up to support her chin. Her beautiful face appeared to be concentrated on something.

"Mom?" Ben warily vocalized, immediately snapping Grace out of whatever trance she had been in. She promptly stood and turned to face the newcomers.

"Oh! Hello children," she merrily chirped with a smile, just as she had been programed to. Yet, there was a glazed over look in her eyes. Something telling the duo that everything was not quite right.

"How are you doing, Grace?" Y/N now questioned, stepping closer to the robot that had treated her like nothing less than her own daughter. She took her artificial hand in her own and scanned it, as though that would give her the answers she seeked.

"Lovely!" Grace exclaimed, swaying side to side as she watched Ben come closer and place a smooth hand on her black serge clad shoulder.

"Lovely..." she repeated, her smile getting smaller after she enunciated the words. Y/N looked towards Ben and found him staring back at her, his expressive eyes conveying the confusion he felt.

Grace suddenly perked up, regaining her radiant smile as she looked between the two and brought her hands to her face as though she was showing pleasant surprise.

"Oh! Hello children," she cooed, "When did you get here?" 

Y/N's heart crumbled, and she couldn't even imagine the pain that the love of her life must be feeling, knowing that there was something seriously wrong with his mother. She raised a hand and rubbed Ben's back in a comforting gesture, the devastated impression on his stunning features fading to something a little more gentle.

"She just needs to recharge, I'm sure," Y/N comforted, and her fiance captured her in a hug, grateful for her presence and words.

"We'll go upstairs now mom," Ben reluctantly told her, not quite wanting to leave his mother but understanding that he had to go and complete funeral formalities with his siblings. Grace simply nodded, her pearly white teeth peeking through her perfectly painted lips which turned up in a smile.

As the two left, Y/N looked over her shoulder to find Grace staring longingly at the old, worn door which lead out of the kitchen. She muttered a hushed prayer to the universe that her future mother-in-law would be alright.