Chapter 52

The Void soldiers were swaddled in so much Void gold armor that they barely looked human. Despite this, they had impossible flexibility—able to wave their swords around, but that was it—and were armed to the teeth with weapons. Each one had enough weapons to arm a small militia. Given this, I assumed that they were telling the truth about being a part of an invading Void army, and not just a small group of Void soldiers. 

They were blocking the only door, preventing any escape.

The doctors who were present quickly gathered around us, recognizing us as the only allies. Plus, knowing that Rosaline was a primordials probably helped things along too. Each of us was tense, ready to draw our weapons.

"Just give up," the leader announced when we just stared at them, doing nothing. "You'll be able to keep your life."

The doctors muttered to each other, torn on what to do. It was apparent that they were scared for their lives.

Rosaline noticed this. "They're lying," she told them. "They won't spare you. After all, you're enemies."

The leader frowned at her, upset she had ruined his trick. "You're a smart one. Lady Void will greatly benefit from you dying."

Rosaline gave him a cold smile. "The only ones dying here will be your soldiers."

The Void soldiers shifted uncomfortably at this. The leader growled in annoyance. "You have ten seconds to decide if you want to be spared or not."

Meanwhile, the most experienced doctor stepped up. She was a woman in her forties, with a thin scar that traced a line from her cheek to her chin. "Our duty is to protect our patients in any way we can," she announced to her colleagues. "If that means dying, then so be it. You heard our lady Rosaline here." Scar pointed at her for more emphasis. "They'll kill us no matter what. Our only chance is to fight."

The air around the doctors changed. Instead of being nervous or scared, they were slightly more confident and ready to fight. They unsheathed their blades, drawing out surprising mutters from the Void soldiers.

Scar gave them a grim smile. "Didn't think we had the ability to fight?"

"Three seconds left," the Void leader said, ignoring the jibe. He motioned for his soldiers to get ready for battle—it was apparent that we were not going to surrender.

Two. Rosaline and I drew our swords. 

One. I took a deep breath, settling my nerves. I looked at Psi, sleeping peacefully on the bed. And for the first time, I wished that I was him—but immediately pushed away that thought. I had to help these people fight.

The room burst into chaos as both sides charged at each other.

There were significantly more Void soldiers, so each of us had to fight multiple at the same time. I had two muscular brutes, each of who had biceps the size of my head. It was anything but a fair fight.

I jumped and slid over an empty medical bed, jamming both my feet into one of the soldier's breastplate. Even though I had hit him with the force of my full weight, he merely stumbled back, and unable to balance himself because of the amount of equipment he had on, fell onto the ground. Before I could finish him off, however, the other soldier was there, swinging his sword at my neck.

I ducked a split second before I was about to be decapitated. The sword cleaved a full medical bed in half, then dug into the ground.

I looked at him incredulously. "Why the hell did you put that much force into your swing?"

However, before he could answer—or I could kill him—the first soldier charged at me again like a bull. Given his red complexion, he was very angry at me.