Awakening

"So what exactly is wrong with him?" Snow leaned forward on the breakfast table, eager to get answers from Idena.
"Merlin?"
"Who else would she be talking about?" In only a single day, Arthur had made it very clear that he did not consider himself a friend to the young magician.
"You. You've got a lot of problems you know, Arthur." Apparently, Idena felt the same.
"Alright you two." Hans cut in.
"Are you going to tell us what's wrong with Merlin, or not?" Jack spoke up.
"Of course." Idena cleared her throat.

"His problem, initially, was the use of his magic. Merlin used a lot of power and it completely wore him out. The other thing is that he fell from an extremely tall tower." She paused to take sip of water. "Now, if those had been his only problems, he would have woken up a few days ago." She cleared her throat. "The issue now, is what Regina did. My best guess is that she used an enchanted knife." Snow gasped. "Now I have to heal his other wounds, and remove the poison."
"Can you do it?" Snow began wringing her hands nervously.
"Probably, but I'm just gonna have to figure that out now won't I?"

⚡️✨⚡️✨⚡️

"Are you sure you're up for this? You still seem tired from yesterday."
"I'll be fine, Noki." He nodded his head before walking out, leaving Idena with Merlin. She once again pulled back her hood, before gripping onto the wizard's hand.

⚡️✨⚡️✨⚡️

The next few days went by quickly. Idena spending almost all her time with Merlin, bringing him closer and closer back to life. She, on the other hand, seemed exhausted. It was easy to tell that all the complex magic was taking its toll on her.

Noki had grown close to Idena, not in a romantic way, but more like siblings. He began to notice that when she was the only one that could see him, he turned human again. The only problem was, that she was either too busy or to tired to talk about it.

One day, almost a week and a half after the initial incident, Noki went to check on Idena's progress. He was about to open the door, when she stumbled out.
"I did it." She muttered, too weak to speak up.
"What?" Noki gripped her shoulders.
"I did it. I saved Merlin." Idena then collapsed against him, completely exhausted. Noki, in his human form, picked her up, bridal style, and carried her into Merlin's room. Setting her down in a large chair, Noki looked at the girl.
"Get some rest, okay?"
"I saved him." She said it like she was in a trance.
"Okay, but you need rest." Idena didn't have the strength to argue.

Looking around, Noki realized that Merlin wasn't in his weird time bubble anymore. He stepped closer.
"Merlin?" Noki's voice was barely above a whisper. "Can you hear me?" The wizard's eyes fluttered open.
"Noki?" His voice was cracked and weak, but he spoke.

⚡️✨⚡️✨⚡️

Everyone was crowded around Merlin, excited that he was finally awake.
"How do you feel?" Jack rested a hand on his friend's shoulder.
"Tired and achy, but okay." Merlin coughed a bit.
"Here, let me get you some water." Snow walked over a small table with a water pitcher on it, bringing back a small cup. Merlin nodded in thanks, enjoying the soothing effect that the cool liquid had on his throat.

"Do you think you can get up, Merlin?" Arthur looked excited.
"Don't rush it, Short Stack. I'm not done with him yet." Idena spoke from the chair in the corner. No one had really noticed her presence, except for Noki, until then. Merlin stiffened.
"Who are you?"
"Her name is Idena. She's the one that saved your life." Noki put in.
"H- How long was I asleep?"
"Almost ten days." King White was probably the only one who had kept count.
"What? How?" Merlin had to stop due to a coughing fit.
"They can explain it later. Right now, you need some rest." Idena looked like she could use some herself.

Not wanting to argue with her, they all shuffled out.
"Noki." The dwarf turned back towards her. "Help me up, would you?" Noki nodded.
"Wait, a minute." Merlin spoke up. "I want to speak with her." Noki looked back to Idena.
"I'll be fine, Noki. Thank you." He nodded again, before walking out.

The two sat in silence.
"You wanted to talk to me?"
"Yeah." Merlin cleared his throat. "You're a witch, aren't you?"
"Wow, straight to the point."
"Aren't you? I can sense your magic."
"While I do have magic, I'm not a witch."
"Then where do you get it?"
"I'm a princess."
"Oh." They sat in silence for a moment. "Can I... see your face?"
"Sorry?"
"You're sitting in a dark corner, and I'd like to see the face of the girl who saved me. I want to thank you." Idena pushed herself out of the chair and stepped forward, revealing her face half covered by blonde hair. "Thank you." She nodded in response.

⚡️✨⚡️✨⚡️

The next morning, Idena went to see Merlin.
"How do you feel?"
"I'm alright."
"Merlin, don't lie to me. This job is hard enough."
"If you already know how I'm feeling, then why ask?" She ignored his question and asked him a different one.
"Where does it hurt?"
"My right leg. My left shoulder. And my head."
"The first two are easily fixable, but the last one is on your own. It's the after effects of the poison, and your going to have to get over it yourself."
"Um... okay?" Merlin shifted. "Wait, poison?"
"Did Regina stab you, after you fell?"
"I would call it more of a slice, not really a stab." Idena nodded her head, before stepping towards him.
"I'm going to start with your shoulder first. This is going to hurt." She rested a hand on his injured shoulder, and the other instinctively reached for his hand, until she realized what she was doing and pulled away. "Sorry. Habit." Idena muttered.

"Habit?"
"You were unconscious and in pain. It was the only thing I could think of."
"Right."
"But seriously though, you might want something to grab onto, this is gonna hurt." Merlin reached for her hand.