Eyes Open

"It's your knee, right?"
"Yeah."
"Ready?" Merlin grabbed her hand.
"Now I am."
"Okay, here we go."

Two days had already gone by since Merlin had awoken. Even with such a short amount of time he and Idena had grown close. She was taking her time healing his other injuries, as they weren't life threatening, and all the work was wearing her out. She was now trying to heal his knee, which had evidently been shattered in the fall.

"Would you stop shifting around? I don't want to accidentally put your leg back together sideways."
"I can't help it if it hurts."
"Here." Idena waved her glowing hand over the wizard, easing his pain.
"Why couldn't you have done that sooner?"
"Requires extra energy." She cleared her throat. "Didn't want to have to use it unless I had to."
"Right."

⚡️✨⚡️✨⚡️

That afternoon, Idena stayed to talk to Merlin.
"So how's your head."
"Fine, I guess."
"Merlin, is something bothering you? You seem a bit gloomy."
"No, I'm fine."
"Seriously? Almost every time someone says that they're fine, it means they're not fine."
"It's just that, I finally found the girl of my dreams. I love her, but then she tells me that I'm her best friend."
"Oof. Harsh."
"I don't know what to do anymore." Idena rested a hand on his shoulder.
"Talk to her, maybe she feels the same way you do."
"I doubt it."
"But you won't know unless you ask, now will you?"
"I guess not."
"Talk to her."
"Fine."
"Good."

⚡️✨⚡️✨⚡️

"I don't want to do this."
"Oh, come on. Man up, Magic Boy."
"Don't call me that."
"To late." Idena chuckled, but stopped, when she saw his face. "Hey, dude, you've got this, and if you need me, I'll be just outside, okay?"
Before he could respond, Snow walked in.
"Hey, Idena. You said you wanted to talk to me, Merlin?"
"Um... yeah." He gave Idena a pleading look. He wanted her to stay. She laughed and shook her head.
"Listen, I going to go get breakfast. I'll be back."

Idena didn't go very far. She made it outside the door, before closing it and leaning against the wall opposite. The girl made sure that she couldn't hear their conversation, but she wanted to be there for Merlin.

The wizard sat next to Snow White on his bed, twiddling his thumbs.
"So... you wanted to talk to me?"
"Yep, I did, Yeah."
"Okay... "
"Right." Merlin cleared his throat. "I wanted to know how you feel about me." He was never the type to beat around the bush.
"Well, Merlin... I... You are a great guy, and a wonderful friend, but... "
"You don't have any sort of romantic feelings towards me." He finished.
"I'm sorry."
"No, Snow. Don't be sorry. It's not your fault."
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah." She gave him an awkward pat on the shoulder, before getting up to leave.

"I'm guessing that didn't go well." Idena stepped in, talking note of the boy's face.
"Not in the slightest."
"I'm sorry." She sat down on the bed next to him.
"It's fine." He felt a single tear roll down the side of his face, and Idena bumped against his shoulder gently. He looked at her.
"You'll get through this, Merlin. It's hard, but you'll get through it." He sighed, glancing at the girl, and wanting to change the subject.

"Why do you part your hair like that?"
"What do you mean?"
"You cover half your face with it."
Idena put a hand up to her face.
"I- it helps me concentrate with my magic."
"Are you sure? That's it?" Merlin looked at her. She avoided his eyes. "You can tell me." Merlin looked down. "Unless you'd rather not."
"No, I do, it's just... I... never mind." Idena sat on the side of the bed in defeat. Merlin scooted over, leaning towards her.
"Whatever it is, it won't affect how I am around you. I won't judge." Slowly, he lifted his one hand to her shoulder, and the other on the side of her face. It wasn't until he began to lean in that Idena realized what he was doing.
"Merlin." Her voice was soft, but stern, as she put a hand to his chest, carefully pushing him away. He looked hurt and confused by her actions. She sighed when he looked away in frustration.
"Look. Merlin. I'm sure you're well intentioned, but I don't think you mean this." Idena turned his head back towards her. "You're hurting, and I don't think this is actually what you want."
"How do you know what I want?" He snapped. "Especially when I don't even know."
"Give it time. It'll all sort out." She smiled at him. "But in the meantime, I'm going to get some breakfast."

She started to step away, but Merlin grabbed her wrist.
"If you're going to turn be down, at least look me in the eyes." He sounded angry and hurt.
"Fine, Merlin." She pulled her hair back out of the way, slipping it behind her ear. Her eyes were closed at first, but Merlin quickly realized why she kept them covered. There was a scar, running all the way from above her left eyebrow, to her jaw just below her ear. The scar went straight through her eye, but as she opened them, he saw it's effects. Both of her eyes were a vibrant green color, but her left one had a pinkish line running through it, aligned with the scar. The most unnerving part about it was that her sclera, the white of her eye, wasn't actually white. It was gray.

Merlin gasped in shock and stepped away from her a bit.
"Is this what you wanted, Merlin?"
"I- I had no idea."
"Well now you do." Idena pulled her hood up and walked out, leaving Merlin to decipher his thoughts and feelings.