003: welcome home

LEGACIES 003:WELCOME HOME

LEGACIES 003:
WELCOME HOME

—NINE YEARS LATER—

"I THINK IT'S time we officially declare the school as open", Klaus decided as he entered the bedroom that he and Bonnie shared in their Mystic Falls home. Call him paranoid, he definitely was, but when he'd pitched the idea for the school to Stefan and Damon, he'd had the family home in Mystic Falls remodeled so that they could safely oversee the renovations of the school. More rooms, Klaus was a presumptuous man, a gym, a field, kitchens, a cafeteria - there was just so much work to be done! He wanted to cover everything that he thought they might need. Bonnie said he was overthinking. "Why do we need a swim team, Klaus?" "We don't need a horse stable, Klaus." "Stop trying to show up the mortals, Klaus." He just liked to be well prepared! "We have the students lined up, parents ready to pay the tuition fees. I think it's time we open it up. Especially now that Rebekah has clearly lost her mind! Are you knitting?"

Klaus wasn't actually going to make anyone pay tuition, mind you, but he was enjoying watching the less kind parents squirm. No one could stop you if you wanted to ship your supernatural kid off, but that didn't mean it had to be easy for you if you didn't care for that child and only wanted to protect your reputation.

"I'm crocheting", Bonnie corrected, not looking up from her work. Her thick, brown curls fell over her face and shoulders as she did so. She always looked the most beautiful to  Klaus when she was focused, her thin brows knitted together, hazel eyes locked on the task at hand, nimble fingers working as fast - yet as gently - as they could. It was like magic watching her exist. Bonnie did everything with care and passion. The same could be said for the way she loved. Klaus often felt like he didn't deserve her, especially moments like this when the sun shone so brightly on her copper skin. If she were a goddess, then he lived to worship her. If she weren't, then she would be the false idol that he followed to the ends of the earth. To hell and back, he was hers. "What has Rebekah done to set you off now? Do I need to hide the daggers?" It was a long running joke between the family. It wasn't always funny, but they had grown past using such barbaric methods on each other... Mostly. Klaus still considered it sometimes when it came to Kol.

"Absolutely", Klaus answered, flopping down next to her with a heavy sigh. "It tried to kill her, and she adopted it!"

"She has a name, and so does he", Bonnie corrected. "And this is exactly why Rebekah didn't tell you."

Klaus looked offended, scrunching his nose. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Bonnie paused her crocheting just long enough to give him a pointed look. "What was your first thought when you heard about what Ansel and Niklaus had done?"

"To put her down like the apparently rabid dog she is and send her psycho brother back with her", Klaus huffed. It didn't matter who you were, if you fucked with his family, you were automatically the enemy, simple as that. And here Rebekah was inviting two into their home like it was no big deal? Ridiculous! Grumpily, he rubbed his temples. "This family still makes me want to murder people! And why did she give that one my name? I may occasionally be a murderer, but it doesn't mean I want one to be my namesake."