Still reeling in from what Caspian had told me, not even ten minutes ago, I walked myself to the Hall of Justice. I see my dad walking up to the stage, looking as miserable as ever. 

        “Next, please. Finger.” One of the Peacekeepers calls me, and I stick my finger out for her. I feel a tiny prick as she smears my blood onto a piece of paper before scanning it to make sure it’s me. “Next, please.”

        As I get closer, I see Roxxie Eleni, The Capitol escort. She was wearing a pink dress, with odd bubbles sticking out. I later realised it was supposed to imitate bubblegum, as it smelled like it too.

        “Hello, hello, everyone! Welcome back, and I just wanted to say Happy Hunger Games!” We all clapped and cheered. “May the odds be ever in your favour! Right before we start, though, we have a very special announcement, all the way from The Capitol.”

        The video was fairly simple to understand. That, and it’s the same video The Capitol has been showing since I can remember. Why they were created, and why it’s our fault. I looked across to the boys’ section where Nyle was, almost half-asleep, and next to him, Caspian. I hadn't told my brother about the breakup, as I found the Reaping far more important than anything else at this moment.

        “Oh, I love that. Don’t you? Okay, let’s just skip to the part that everyone came for! As tradition goes, girls will go first." She reached at the top of the pile and grabbed a slip.

        "Kovee Fairscape!" 

        Everyone who knew her started moving out of the way. I recognised her. She had started her training to be a Career, but she was nowhere near ready to be in the games. Kovee was, I don’t know, maybe around thirteen? She was pretty, with golden locks and green eyes, something common in District Four, along with blue eyes, neither of which I got.

        As soon as Kovee arrives on stage, Roxxie introduces her, and asks if anyone wishes to volunteer in her place.

        I raised my hand, and everyone parted for me as I said, “I volunteer!”

        “Wonderful! Of you go then, little one.” She pushed Kovee to the staircase, and she wasted no time. She ran and hugged me, whispering "Thank you." I smiled at her and nodded, as Peacekeepers came and escorted me to the stage. I saw my dad, but he didn’t meet my eyes. He wasn’t there, I knew that. Me and Nyle kept him off medications, but he still found ways to ignore the presence of everyone.

        “Wonderful, now, for the boys.” She dug at the bottom of the Reaping Ball and selected one, slowly going back to her place. “Okay, now let’s see. This year’s male tribute is,” She tugged at the paper and opened it. “Caspian Redford!”

        He marched from his place and behind me I could hear Golden Boy whisper to my dad, “Well, this worked out way better than we expected.”

        Yeah, well, I would have agreed, but someone raised their hand, and just like me, volunteered. It wasn’t until he started coming up that I realised who it was. “Marvellous, and just who might you be?” Roxxie put the microphone near his lips, waiting for his answer. We met eyes, and I didn’t see anything, except remorse. 

        “Nyle. My name is Nyle Ryvor.”

        I looked back at Dad who was staring into space, Golden Boy trying to bring him back to reality. Time seemed to stop, and I felt wobbly. I looked at Nyle again, and suddenly I knew how Dad felt when he spaced out. I could barely hear Roxxie talking, but I didn’t care. I tried to blink, tried to make myself believe it was a bad dream, that Nyle didn’t volunteer for that cheater.

        “Two Ryvors, huh? Siblings, am I correct?”

        I couldn’t do anything as I stared into Nyle’s eyes, him answering for both of us. Yes. We are siblings. She exclaimed at that and took us inside to say our goodbyes. Mother showed up with me first and gave me a hug, but I still couldn’t move. I didn’t realise she left until I heard someone calling my name from miles away.

        Lyra. Lyra!

        I closed my eyes, thinking it was just my imagination. 

        Lyra, open your eyes!

        With that I was sucked back into reality, and I opened my eyes to see the one and only Golden Boy, Finnick Odair.

        “Where’s…my parents…?”

        He didn’t get a chance to answer me as someone wrapped me in a tight hug. 

        “Oh, Lyre. I tried; I really did. I’m sorry I couldn’t save you.”

        I stayed there hugging my dad, for what maybe could be the last time. “It’s okay, Dad, ‘s okay. I love you. Tell mother, I love you, guys.”

        He pulled away, cupping my head, he said, “I need you to listen to Mags, and Finnick. I know we trained you well, and I know you and Nyle’ll keep each other safe. Control your anger, Lyra, they'll use it against you. Only make alliances when it benefits you, okay? Steer clear of everyone, and when it gets risky leave, okay?” He kissed my forehead as Peacekeepers came in, dragging him away. “I love you, my minnow! Swim away-” He was cut off when the door slammed shut. 

        “Come,” Golden Boy grabbed my wrist and tugged me away. He pulled me into a room where Roxxie and Nyle were. He left shortly after, leaving Roxxie rambling as she boarded the cart that would take us to the train station. I fell back into that numb state, ignoring much of what she was saying.

        When we arrived at the station after, Nyle helped me get out of my seat, guiding me to the train. "I need you to wake up, now, Lyre. Okay? The cameras are here."

        Smile and wave, I thought.

        When that part was over, Roxxie led me to my room, telling me to be ready for supper in an hour, as we would arrive at The Capitol fairly quickly, and we would eat there.

        I stared at the window of our rooms, everything passing in a blur. I was scared. Not for me, no. For my dad. He’s never been by himself, at least not in a long time. Not since he got married, not since he had us, and certainly not since mother died. He wouldn’t want to go to The Capitol, it would be too much. Plus, Finnick and Mags are going. That should be enough to help one of us survive.