one

B L A I R A L D E R I D G E
_

The soft cry of a baby is the first thing I hear once I step out of my car, quickly walking  walking up to the front door with my bag on my shoulder and unlocking the door and walking into the little townhouse.

My feet drag me into the small living room, after dropping my bag at the door, to see my dad pacing around the room holding my crying son in his toned arms.

For the past four years it's just been my dad and me, after my mother's unexpected death four years ago we wanted to get a fresh start in the city and then last year was when I fell pregnant and had my son, Reese, and ever since then it's just been the three of us.

"Hey dad." I bring Reese into my arms, his cries softening when he sees it's me. Such a mummy's boy.

"Hey sweetheart, he's hungry but there's no more formula or milk left, so I was waiting for you to get home." He kisses the top of my head and takes a seat on the gray couch.

"No formula? I thought we had enough for the week." I walk into the adjoining kitchen, checking the cabinets.

"Not that I could find." His tired, droopy eyes meet mine from the living room. "Do you want me to go get some from the store?"

"No it's okay, you stay home and get some sleep while I go and get some after I feed him." He nods his head before sitting down on the couch. I walk up the stairs and into my bedroom, sighing at my messy bed and start feeding Reese, his mouth instantly attaching onto my breast and drinking my breast milk.

His light green eyes staring right at me as a singular drop of milk runs down his cheek.

TILL DEATH DO US PART

"I'll be back in an hour." I shut the door behind me and walk over to my car, carefully locking Reese in his car seat.

I start the car and turn the Aircon on, instantly giving me relief from the hot air outside. The drive to the grocery store is filled with Resse mumbling incoherent words and the soft hum of the music playing from the radio.

Walking into the store I grab a trolley and sit Reese down in it as before making my way over to the produce section and beginning to pick out all sorts of fruits and vegetables that we'll need for the week.

I take a detour down the chocolate aisle, placing a block of caramel chocolate into the trolley as a group of teenagers at the end of the aisle catch my attention.

I look up and watch as the three 'popular boys' from school argue over a bag of chips. The tallest and scariest looking one out of all of them, Levi Cooper, makes eye contact with me. Or more so the baby with me.

His sea glass coloured eyes run across all of Reese's small figure before meeting my empty stare. I start to feel self-conscious under his burning stare. The small green corset top and the demin shorts now feeling tighter against my body.

Reese's small fingers make contact with my long brown hair and I thankfully break away from his eyes and head back towards the end of the aisle. I feel his stare still on my body as I walk away and hear their previous conversation turning to the subject of me.

I pull up to the register and start loading everything from the trolley and onto the bench.

"How old is he?" The older woman behind the counter asks, looking up from her thick red glasses.