XIV. Memorial Detour

It was easier than I suspected to find the former maid's address. Benno snuck into the Archives again and found it in the Saursi Citizen Record Book. The greater challenge is slipping from the palace. Lady Nyoko has piled more and more schoolwork on me until I spend six hours in lessons, two hours at tea, and reading additional pages in the evening.

But luck shows its shining face after four days.

My newest assignment is practicing my deep concentration skills by reading through the palace finance ledger. It's an old copy, the brown leather cover frayed after a year of use and many more in storage. I spend an hour reading each day while Lady Nyoko enjoys a Saursi epic. Everytime I hear her chuckle or look up to see her smiling, I resent the endless numbers in my hands even more. It feels cruel for her to watch me suffer, but I admit I probably wouldn't do the assignment on my own time.

I blink at page thirty-seven before Lady Nyoko stirs in her seat.

"Princess Aylo, I know a lot has happened to you. But you must try to pay more attention to your schoolwork. So far, you've read an average of 9 and quarter pages per day. That's about a sixth of a page per minute. We need that to increase to at least a page per minute."

I deflate. "But—"

"Princess Aylo, we need you to be at your very best during this difficult time for our kingdom. I am willing to teach you, but only if you are willing to learn, which includes developing skills that may be taxing. Are you willing to put in the effort?"

Slowly I nod. Deep down, I know that I don't really have a choice.

"Good." She checks the clock on the wall, which points to fifteen o'clock. It's time for my tea lesson. I groan internally.

"I have a surprise for you," Lady Nyoko says, and I return my attention to her. "Tomorrow, you won't have tea lessons. Instead, we need you to attend a special event in town in King Ivandor's honor."

"Really?" Excitement bubbles inside me. This is the opportunity I've been waiting for.

"I assume there will not be any problems with this arrangement?"

"No, of course not. Thank you!"

Lady Nyoko smiles. "Tea lessons can't be that bad."

"Actually, they're much, much worse."

"They will be if you are late. You are dismissed."

I curtsy before leaving. When I reach the hall, I nearly run into Sigvard and Benno, who stand outside the lesson room doors. Both them have hair matted to their foreheads, and water droplets stain their button-down shirts.

"What's with the hair?" I ask.

"Benno joined me for training this afternoon," Sigvard says. "We just finished cleaning up."

"Ah, that explains the lack of odor."

"If you're disappointed, I will be sure to use a more natural perfume in the future."

"Please don't." I glance down the hall and lower my voice. "By the way, I have good news."

"It's about time," Sigvard gripes. "I've barely seen you the past few days. What've you been doing in there? Learning the entire history of the Saursi Kingdom?" He flicks his head toward the closed door.

"Basically. I have to read the Palace's financial records along with a host of other monotonous readings."

Benno wrinkles his nose.

"You're in there literally all day," Sigvard says. "I only had three hours of training and lessons combined."

"Lucky you. I'm still not done, so I don't have much time to talk. But tomorrow, I have to go to town for a special memorial service. If you tag along, maybe we sneak to Evlyn's house after it's over."