XXIII. Ghost's Meeting (Part Two)

Three more trills flit from Odeia's lips before she sees us. A grin spreads across her face, and she hurries toward us, splashing the swans she passes.

"You made it!" she cries. "I've been singing every so often tonight in hopes you'd find me." She wraps me in a hug, dampening my shirt and pants with her soaked dress.

"Thank you," I say. "We were a little lost."

Odeia frowns. "Do you know the way back?" I shake my head. "I'll send one of my swans along with you then. She'll guide the way." She turns to Sigvard, whose face seems wider than usual, pulled taught with awe.

"You were right Aylo," he says, dumbstruck. "Have to admit, I wasn't totally sure I believed you."

"All that matters is that I'm right in the end," I say. Though I'm the shortest one, I feel taller than the others with the best posture I've ever had.

"Let's sit down," Odeia says. "It's been such a long time since I've had company. I mean, I spoke to Aylo, but our talk was so short."

It's a tight squeeze to fit on the bench, and Sigvard ends up sitting on the ground across from us, while I sit between Odeia and Benno.

"I'm so glad you're still alive," Sigvard says. "It'd be so wrong if you died. The whole conviction was messed up."

Odeia purses her lips. "I know. That's why I'm here, opposed to rotting in the ground."

"Who helped you escape? This has been bothering us for ages," Sigvard says.

"Was it Evlyn?" I ask.

"Evlyn? Goodness, no." Odeia chuckles to herself. The rest of us lean in closer.

"Then who?" I ask.

"Like I said, I shouldn't reveal the person's identity. But what made you think it was Evlyn?"

"Her name starts with an 'E,'" I say. "And that's the way the warning letter was signed."

Odeia looks down at her neatly folded hands, a smile on her face.

"What?" I ask.

"'E' might not refer to a person's name."

"Come on! You have to tell us!" Sigvard exclaims.

Odeia sends him a look that stop a waterfall. Not harsh, but solemn, decisive. "That's the only clue I'll give. Keep in mind that this person could be convicted of treason if word gets out. The person assisted a criminal convicted of assassinating the Queen."

"But you didn't kill the Queen," Sigvard says.

"According to the books, I did. Now, if that decision were overturned...then the identity of said person wouldn't need to be a secret, since the person assisted the future heir when an act of treason was committed against her."

"Court politics are so stupid," I say.

"It's not stupid, it's necessary. I can't fault them for doing their job, no matter the implications for me."

"Well, just know that we're working to help you," Sigvard says. "We'll find who did it."

"Then you can regain the throne," I chirp.

"You'll be so much better than Clemaina." Sigvard practically spits her name.

"I'm not sure if that's a good idea," Odeia says. "What if you get caught? What if you become a target because of what you're finding out?"

"That's a risk we're willing to take," I say. "Your life matters more than ours right now. Now, are there any details you remember that might assist in our investigation?"